CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 22, 2004, 01:38 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Not all NEC 2500A's seem to have this problem. Most will probably work with Ritek but there are still a signifcant number of people who can't get them to work so it is a bit of a gamble.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 02:08 AM

I`ve had the Nec 2500, for a few weeks now. I copy on the fly using Orange overprints (4x).

Movies are ok, but Xbox games copy ok, but either won`t play or are jerky and crash in the Xbox.

I`d say most problems, can be sorted out with firmware upgrades.

Joe.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 08:05 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by fawlty [/i]
[B]Saw this in a review on the 2500a. Some test results using various brands of -R media with the below showing how it handled Datasafe Ritek.

Brand:
Datasafe

Manufacturer:
Ritek

Code:
RITEKG04

Disc Type:
DVD-R

Capacity:
4489MB

Certified Speed:
4x

Write Speed:
4x

Write Time:
14m:23s

PI errors Average/Sec:

PI uncorrectable errors(PO) Avg/Sec:

The result is again perfect! This is simply the best result we have ever had with ritekg04 discs. Highly recommended
.................................................. ..

This is strange because based on this I thought the NEC would be a good drive to get. After reading recent posts thoiugh maybe not. [/B]
I thought the same, I read reviews before i purchased the drive and heard good reports from peeps on here, Anyhow it writes them perfect thats not the problem, even testing the ones i have in nero cdspeed gives a good result, the problem is they wont play back on 2 out of 3 of my standalones although when burnt with the pioneer 106D with the exact same methods they all play perfect, Its a strange one but if nero cdspeed gives good reports on the burnt disc and it seems to burn ok but struggles with compatibility on most players, Dont get me wrong they play on my Umax and on my sister pacific standalones, Yet when burnt using the pioneer 106D they play on all, I personally don't think a firmware upgrade will cure this problem as i think its the way it writes the disc going by cdspeed results thats why im getting it replaced with a 107, If it works ok for you and plays backups fine then yes its a good drive, but if you give them to your friends and family and they dont have the same standalone as yourself then thats where the problems start. Also bear in mind that if i only had the umax standalone i wouldn't have noticed this problem and would probably be praising this drive myself.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:04 AM
Veteran

hmm tis strange, I can see your point about compatability.

but the ones ive done work in my lg,jvc standalones and bush portable dvd player and my ps2 and also my friends and my brothers standalones.

could be a problem with the way discs are written like you say, still if the 107 works for you and the nec doesnt then theres definately summat wrong with the nec (hardware or firmware wise).
Old Feb 22, 2004, 01:27 PM
Veteran

I got the NEC 2500 just over a week ago, ive done 25 burns on Unbranded Frosted Top Riteks, 18 xbox - all worked fine on the xbox, 7 x dvdr movie iso's - all play fine in my dansai standalone, will be hopefully trying them in other standalones tomorrow.

Forgot to add that i burnt all discs at 2x.

Last edited by SMASHER; Feb 22, 2004 at 01:32 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 01:39 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by SMASHER [/i]
[B]I got the NEC 2500 just over a week ago, ive done 25 burns on Unbranded Frosted Top Riteks, 18 xbox - all worked fine on the xbox, 7 x dvdr movie iso's - all play fine in my dansai standalone, will be hopefully trying them in other standalones tomorrow.

Forgot to add that i burnt all discs at 2x. [/B]

if i burn a film on a disk and play it back it plays back ok now,
does your PC DVD-ROM drive play these back ok?
but if i try to make a image of this disk to my hard drive the read speed is very slow , my DVD-ROM is working hard to read the disk and its taking longer then usual to read.