CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 09, 2004, 10:36 AM

Default Help laptop won't boot up from battery

sponsored links

I have a Time amd k6 500mhz laptop.
It has a 10gig harddrive and 124MB of memory.
Running winXP.
It all runs ok apart from it will not boot up from dead via the battery .
I can start it on mains and after a split second turn the mains off and it will continue to boot and run via the battery. I can go to restart and it will shut down and start back up again on the battery(no need for mains).
The battery is good and gives a long time.
There is a running indicator and when it starts up correctly it is green. When I try to cold start it from the battery it is orange. Once this light is on the only way to start it is to remove the battery and replace it and then start it from mains.
It did used to start from the battery but it won't any more. It is only a problem when you want to start the laptop where there is no mains supply.
I have managed with it like this for over a year and it hasn't been to much of a problem for me. The thing is I now want to sell the laptop and I can't really sell it on with this fault.
Any help appreciated.
Old Mar 09, 2004, 11:07 AM
Veteran

It takes a slightly higher current to start a PC from the powered off state then to continuously run it. Looks to me like the battery is simply worn out.
Old Mar 09, 2004, 11:21 AM

Forgot to mention that I bought a spare battery and it did the same with that one. Both the batteries are good. Once I tried the other battery and it didn't work I then resold it on EBay as I didn't have a use for it. This was after a period of time.
The battery I have kept is a Lithium Ion the one I sold was a NI_MH.
Both gave good length of use and both held their charge. I haven't had any bad feedback about the battery that I sold, so I can only assume that he hasn't had a problem with it.
I can understand your point and it might still be true but to me the battery has been fine. I have been into the bios and discharged the battery in order to get a full charge as well.
Old Mar 09, 2004, 11:46 AM

I have got a similar problem with a IBM Thinkpad.
People recommended putting the battery in the freezer.
doesn't work.

Still looking for a solution
Old Mar 10, 2004, 05:27 PM

Is there a reset button or combination of buttons that will reset it. On compaq laptops it is a generally push the power button and slide the slider, this has the same effect as pulling the battery out, I would expect your laptop to have something similar but don't know anything about your particular laptop