CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 10, 2004, 04:40 PM
Veteran

Default need help getting rid of msn browser hijack

sponsored links

it makes msn the hompage, i remove the adware with adaware but it comes back.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:01 AM
Veteran

Free spyware scan and remove
----------------------------------------
Note: (It is effective to install multiple sypware remover software)

Spybot Search and destroy
www.safer-networking.org/

Adaware by lavasoft
www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Pest Patrol
www.pestpatrol.com/downloads/eval/download.asp

BrowserSpy is a comprehensive web-browser-****ysis tool aimed at showing you what information your browser is passing to sites visited.
get it @ ********gemal.dk/browserspy/
Old Jul 12, 2004, 08:10 PM

Question help in removing msn browser hijack please!

Dear smart people,
I'm a real newbie here. I must have removed this stupid msn browser hijack at least 30 times with Ad-Aware (very updated) and it always comes back. It was gone for a while after I searched for msn files and deleted them. However, there were two dll files I couldn't delete. Then I went to Add/Remove Programs and removed a Microsoft Network Framework (or something like that). That took care of it for about a day. Can you help? Keep in mind that I'm on a dialup connection at 26 bps so everything is agonizingly slow. I would be happy to have you e-mail me directly, hope I can figure out how to look for your replies! Thanks for any help you can give.
Win
Old Jul 18, 2004, 11:05 AM
Veteran

Ok ... most likely, the browser is Being Hijacked by CoolWWW or CoolWeb.
The tool to use for this is CWShredder, a free download to remove this nasty bit of code.
Secondly, Adaware and spybot are both garbage.
Get the trial version of Spysweeper, install it, update it, then reboot into safe mode by pressing the F8 key at boot. once in safe mode, run Spysweeper and CW shredder to remove the garbage.
Lastly ... DISABLE System Restore in XP or ME.
Very important, because much like Viruses, Some Spyware can implant itself in the restore sets, and will come back time and time again. To disable System Restore in XP right click My Computer, select properties, and click on the system restore tab. Put a check in the little Box.
To disable System restore in ME, again right click My computer>Properties, and select Advanced Tab. Then click File System Button. Click on Last Tab of File system window, and at the bottom, select turn off system restore.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 01:12 AM

Default Advice - msn browser hijack Windows 98 operating system?

Yes I'm starting to think that Adaware is junk as it's doing doodletysquat to get rid of this thing. I'm in the dark ages with Windows 98 SE. Do you have any advice? I will try CW Shredder and Spysweeper as you suggest. Can you use both or do they conflict? I assume I'll need to disable Adaware, too? Thanks so much for your help. I'm at my wit's end on this.
Gratefully, Win
Old Aug 03, 2004, 10:23 AM

Talking Help!

I am going crazy!! I have been downloading everything to get rid of this! I have tried adaware, it would find it and delete it but the crap keeps coming back; CWshredder but it says there is nothing there; spysweeper downloaded one time and told me the setup files were corrupted to download again(so I am doing that now). Do you think the folks that make the virus/trojan whatever they are , are also the ones that make the cure??? This is just crazy if you ask me. Anyway I need serious help before I just throught the computer out the window!