CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 17, 2004, 04:56 AM

Default Win xp error code 41....

Hi,

Hope you guys can help.
I dont know what has happened, but my cdrw (liteon) and myPioneer 106 dvrw drives have stopped working. Win xp sees them but comes up with an error code 41, saying it has found the drives but has encountered an error. If i remove the drives from device manager and reboot the same thing happens again. I have swopped the connectors from the cd/dvd to the hard drives, and the hard drives boot ok, so the connecting leads and board connectors seem ok.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Aug 04, 2004, 07:15 PM

Default Code 31, 32, 19, 39, 41 - Windows XP

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

Restart your computer.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:44 AM

Thumbs up Code 41

FreakyMonkey, you saved the day. I am a new visitor experiencing a loss of an HP300 dvd drive as well as a Sony CRX215ES. Fortunately I only went as far as removing the side panel and making sure the ribbon cable was secure. Comically the troubleshooter for my hp computer tells you that you have a hardware problem and start taking everything apart. The fact that they both disappeared at the same time made me suspicious and that's how I found you. A lifesaver. Also the first time in my life that I have gone into the registry...I definitely respect all the warnings; however, FreakyMonkey your instructions were specific and clear. And, it worked. I am grateful and indebted. I really can't understand why the "big guys" give you squat for troubleshooting. The web is a wonderful thing.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 08:49 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjheckma
I really can't understand why the "big guys" give you squat for troubleshooting.

They do, it's called a search engine and [url=********support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/][b]MICROSOFT SUPPORT[/b].
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:47 PM

Thumbs up many thanks

I googled my way here and signed up for this forum specifically to post a thankyou on this thread to the freakymonkey for his advice. It worked for me. I knew that the Roxio drivers were at fault here and deleting the upper and lower filters in my reg cleared things up. Theres alot of things that the device manager just doesnt do eh? It should be called the device properties displayer with limited usefulness. This simple advice couldve been a button click away. Instead I had to read it online, and not at the microsoft website.
Anyway, I hope freaky monkey reads this and knows I really appreciate the help. Good day.
Old Nov 08, 2004, 02:13 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

I'm glad it's fixed, but it's not really "Roxio's driver's" that are the culprit.

A lot of burning programs, and not just Roxio's, have a habit of screwing Window's Registry, XP's in particular.

A search on Google and/or Micro$$oft's Knowledge Base would have yielded the answer.

This problem usually occurs because people don't follow the correct procedure, and/or install too many burning programs.

Anyway, as I said, glad it's fixed, but you really need to understand the problem before you can apportion blame.