CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 01, 2004, 12:57 AM

sponsored links

Since it seems that HDloader works independently of having a modchip installed, I'm very curious as to whether it supports 80min DVDrips or Japanese games. That may be the reason for their 'cannot comment' on backup compatibility.

If you don't need to have a modchip, they may be using the ps2 bios to launch games and just redirecting the boot device to the selected image file instead of an actual disc? Similar to the old alias command for DOS. If so, I'd guess that only original games or direct copy backups from the native region would work.

Hopefully they've written some kind of replacement software bios to boot any image file, including 80 min DVDrips or Japanese games. But I think that'd be much more difficult to develop and may infringe on proprietary Sony boot code.
Old Jun 01, 2004, 04:50 PM
Banned

at the bottom of this product description on Divieneo website, it say:

"A PS2 broad band adapter and a hard disk are required."

which means no modchips is require!!! meaning you can play backup game without a modchips using only this!!!
Old Jun 01, 2004, 11:06 PM

well guys, any new news?

i really hope we can install at least original imports with this thing. backup's would be great but it don't matter. i mean, if you got a bakcup, you got the original, right? but if you play WINNING ELEVEN, the ability to install patched backups would be great!
Old Jun 02, 2004, 11:05 AM
Veteran

U mite read the site too:
"
FAQ last updated: 2nd June, 2004

Do I need a modified Playstation 2 in order to use HDLoader?

No - HDLoader is provided as a pressed, bootable Playstation 2 disc. No modifications are required."

Also, put in your own HD:
What hard disk drive would you recommend for use with HDLoader?

If you want to take the safe path, get an official Sony internal hard disk drive. These are guaranteed to work - but the capacity of the Sony drives is fixed to 40gb. If you want a larger drive capable of storing more games then we recommend that you purchase a 80 or 120 gigabyte Maxtor hard disk drive. Please keep in mind that this is only a recommendation and we cannot take any liability if you purchase a drive which is incompatible with HDLoader

Etc.....so just read the site info.
Old Jun 02, 2004, 11:08 AM
Veteran

Plus:
"Will I need the HDLoader disc inserted in my PS2 each time I wish to play a game from my HDD?

Yes. In order to boot a game using HDLoader, you must insert the HDLoader disc and then launch the game from the GUI."

More work, might as well just use a backup.
Old Jun 02, 2004, 12:56 PM

can you play copied games with the hd loader? Would you need a modchip installed before the copied games work? Or will the HD Loader automatically read from the disc and allow you to play your own copied games? If you need a mod chip which is best recommended for copied games? Hows the swap disc and side card? I prefer no installation of wires only cuz I dont know how to. Let me know thanks