CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 11, 2004, 02:25 PM

Default Win XP hangs/cant ctl alt del or shut down when online SP2 prob??

sponsored links

Its a very hard thing to try and describe as i imgine there are TONS of win XP probs but the story is:

Sony Vaio PCV LX2, running XP pro i think, whatver was bundled its 2 yrs old, ive had lots of probs in genereal and reinstalled the system about 20 times after it gets buggerde about...but i did a coimplet fresh instal the other day did the path for the blaster worm, went online to get all the updates to XP.

Im then supposed to habve a top, clean all happy up to date system, but i keep gettin this pop up when i got online saying somehting about im open to attackf from this bla blah from 'Synet', andway i to theMS site and although the software update didnt list it (thansk, not) ther was a SP2 for XP so i figured that woudl fix the niggles, if anything my system has NEVER been so flakey, ill be runnin limewire, and a few other P2P apps and theyare all hung when i go to it in the moring afetr leavin on all night, and i do cntrl al del, and that comes up with a msg saying no enough memory to run (ive got 1g pc133 so thers plenty!!) etc, and if i go start, shut down theres only a swicth user or log off option...no shut down, and occasionally my speakers will scream digital noise interfearance....really scream all this crackle....

whats the probs, hw can i simply get a clean working install or install all the updates and avoid all the worms and sh!t out there?

i thogh on well ill go back and use soaftware restore and go back to before i loaded SP2 as i had been making check points everytime i either did aupdate or loaded something for this very reason....anmd gues waht....theres no checkpoints listed anymore, its like they have all bee wiped......microsoft - they suck, at this rate im gonna stick to my mac.......win 95 and 98 NEVER EVER presented a fraction of the probas ive had on XP - either that or Sony cant make PCs but i have a feeling its microsoft - i think the fact that ive got a lot of P"P running wont help but surely i cant be the only one with such headaches....please help!!!
Old Jun 11, 2004, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Try using some logic. If it was entirely a Windows problem then EVERYONE would be having the exact same problem. Plenty of people can and do run Windows XP daily without problem. It's just the people that do have problems that tend to squeak and make the most noise about them. (Nobody complains when things work right)

It's so easy to blame the OS, the software, or everything else but the real issue. Usually when there are repeated problems like this the real issue is either with the person behind the keyboard or a hardware related problem.

Try doing some real troubleshooting, because other then just reinstalling the OS repeatedly you haven't really done anything. If the same problem exists after a reinstall then maybe the problem isn't with the software but the hardware. Is the system overheating? Is the RAM actually good? Are all the drivers up to date?

You haven't said if you are running any virus scanner, spyware blockers, or firewalls installed. It's a good idea to install them if you don't. You also admit to having multiple P2P applications installed. Some of those P2P apps are just open doors for spyware and other useless apps and spyware to clog up your system. You should probable look up the topic "Spyware in Limewire" at google or Yahoo if you don't believe me. Additionally that 'Synet' pop-up is just a trick to get you to install more useless crap on your system.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 08:18 AM

i recommend for your system, and i suggest that you take the advice as you are leaving yourself open to attack if you don't have these or similar programs installed, the following

AVG ANTI VIRUS, free from www.grisoft.com
zone alarm, free, just do a google search
ad aware, again, just do a google
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:20 AM

I hear where youre coming from qwerty - but what p!ssed me off the most is that ive been using pcs for years, and am far from a novice in terms of day to day use....id checked the ram etc...and figured it was a virus or something, hence i wiped the sys and went back online to get all the updates, inc the security ones....which is what ive done, but i teid some virus sofatre from a mate as he had a simmilar problem - i had sasser b amoung a few other viruses....ok fair enough, but whats the f**king point of the windows update if it doesnt update the right bits of the sys....microsoft suck.

So im now running mcafee all the time, ok so its a bit clunky, keeps asking me things, but so far its picked up a a couple of other viruses......the standard XP is useless in looking after itself....

so at the mo all seems fine that to virus software, even though according to the windows update i had all the critical sys updtaes..
Old Jun 19, 2004, 01:32 PM
Veteran

There is a difference between a virus that is designed to exploit a security bug in the operating system (such as sasser or Blaster) and other common software viruses. Windows Update is only for problems with the operating system. You still need a anti-virus scanner to catch the other viruses.

How often are you actually going to Windows Update? The update that closed the security hole that the sasser virus uses came out over a month before sasser actually appeared...and it does work.