CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Data Protection/Compression
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 17, 2004, 07:36 AM

Default Got a Question regarding backed up games

sponsored links

I have a question here because people are saying I can be done for this.

I got bought legally UT2K4 game from Game Station on-line brand new, only they sent me a DVD-ROM version of the game instead of the PC ROM version. I returned it back and they are saying because I removed the packaging they can not refund or swap it. So My m8 done me a copy of his UT CD ROM version and I installed it and used the S/N provided with the version I bought so I can play on-line.. Now someone told me I can get banned and all this s*** for using a illegal version. If I own it! and have the receipt to prove it surely it can't be illegal can it?
Old Aug 06, 2004, 03:39 PM
Veteran

Well from a legal side the backup infringes copyright laws in the U.K, dunno about other countries.

From the serial point of view yes if 2 identical serials where seen on the same server by an admin or something, one of you could get banned, not really sure how they check for serials or if they do.

So the short answer yes it is illegal, you take your chances i guess ?

Hope that helps