CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 06, 2004, 09:49 PM

Default Opinions Please. Just a noob tryin' to get along....

sponsored links

Anyone got an opinion on the verbatim "Digital Movie" DVD-R discs? I have been using them sucessfully in my liten SOHW-812s with stock firmware.And btw I am a bit confused between +R and -R discs. Could anyone please clarify that bit of info for me. I would greatly appreciate it.

-M
Old Jul 07, 2004, 02:59 AM
Veteran

Simply a difference in formatting. DVD-R tend to be just a little bit cheaper and a little bit more compatible though.
Old Jul 09, 2004, 08:50 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCPWR
And btw I am a bit confused between +R and -R discs. Could anyone please clarify that bit of info for me. I would greatly appreciate it.
-M
Information borrowed from another Forum -
Comparitive ****ysis between the +R and -R formats have given the +R format the edge. It has been said that the quality of the +R is superior to that of -R and most of the technological gains in the industry have also favored the +R format. The -R format has a slight edge in compatibility. This advantage is however nullified with the purchase of drives that support Booktype changes through Bitsetting, such as the NEC drives. Bitsetting allows you to change the Booktype of DVD+R media to DVD-ROM. While some standalone and even PC DVD players will read DVD+R and others will read DVD-R, they will always read DVD-ROM, thus guaranteeing universal compatibility.
Old Jul 09, 2004, 07:55 PM

Thanks for the help all. I am decyphering this a bit better know.

- M
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:49 AM
Veteran

I don't buy that crap one bit. Not all drives support the bitsetting option and the people who make those comments clearly aren't doing backups for video game consoles.