CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 05, 2004, 01:53 AM

Default PC freezing, is 57C too hot for my CPU?

sponsored links

My PC has started freezing recently, I think it may be overheating, as I have tried everything else. When it freezes using the stress program prime95 the cpu temperature is 57C and the case is 36C. Is this the cause, I donít know what temperature my 2000XP processor should run at. If this is the cause can anyone suggest a suitable heat sink fan replacement.
Old Aug 05, 2004, 06:19 AM

Yes, definetly to hot. I am now running a 2700+ overclocked. I can't run it above 40c without having trouble.
However, I had a 2000+ a while ago and this one was able to run stable at a higher temp. 50c was the max for that chip.
I'm still using the same heatsink I was for the 2000+. A volcano 7+ with artic silver 5.
They have newer versions of this heatsink out now that I'm sure are fine.
I also have a large case with plenty of fans circulating air.
Good luck.
Old Aug 05, 2004, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the info mate, at least now I know why the computer has been freezing, only really started happening when the warmer humid weather appeared.
Old Aug 06, 2004, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the info again mate, bought another heatsink and a internal fan. Using the stress program prime95 at its worst only get to 53C and it hasn't froze yet.
Old Aug 07, 2004, 02:19 PM
Veteran

Glad you seem to have sorted your problem out m8 but in reference to your first post, 57C is within the temperature range an athlon can work under...

The AMD site specifies 85C as a max. Personally I think this is much too high and (perhaps realistically) I view 70C as an absolute max. When you start getting higher than this you start to affect the lifespan of an IC quite drastically. A test has been done that ran some primitive IC's at 100C and the average lifespan was about 1000 hours. At 60C the average lifespan was estimated to be around 50 years.

57C is well within the tolerences of your processor but I think the comfort zone for air cooling is between 30C and 50C. My XP 2200 hit it's highest ever temperature this week - it really warm and humid here and I overclocked the system so that it was equivalent to an XP2500 just to play Doom 3 and I hit 51C after about 2 hours playing. Also overclocked my Ti42000 almost to the equivalent of a Ti4600. Nice frame rates and good game but believe me, it doesn't redefine FPS gaming or usher in a new generation of graphical excellence.

Idle I get about 28C and usually hit about 43C during heavy load. I have 2 case fans, 1 sucking in, 1 blowing out creating quite a strong through draught. My processor has a Silver Mountain heavy duty cooler so nothing special in there cooling things down. I do run a program that basically sends my processor to sleep when it's not doing anything though called Cooler XP.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 10:53 AM

Glad everything worked out for you Scorer.