CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 08, 2004, 12:53 PM

Default "No soldering involved" mod solution

sponsored links

I have been using the knife swap with a swipe card and swap magic CDs to play backups until now.

Recently, the tray broke and I am in the process of purchasing a new one to replace it with.

However, I thought I might as well look into a new solution for playing backups.

I removed the PS2 seal months back to clean the laser so that is not an issue.

I originally planned on purchasing a flip top.

But then remembered no solder mod chips.

Why do people buy flip tops over the no solder mod chips? Surely the no solder mod chips are the preference as you just use the eject button and its easier.

Which is/are the latest no solder mods around.

Please state the advantages and disadvantages to these?

Thanks

(Proper mod is not an option by the way.)
Old Aug 09, 2004, 11:07 AM
Veteran

No solder doesn't mean you don't have to open your ps2, pull this & that, etc....Frankly, if youre going to do that get a mod chip they play much much more games than a no solder mod.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:00 PM

Last I heard, the no solder mod is only available for v4-v7 US systems.
Not sure about which PS2 versions in other countries.

It's a cheap solution, about $10, and VERY easy to install.

The disadvantages are that you may need several boot discs for compatibility (like any swap method), I don't know whether there's any swap disc that will boot 80 min DVDrips, it's only available for some PS2 models, and that you void your warranty.

Also, some of the no solder mod manufacturers ship low quality boards which may not work. A friend of mine had to return two non-working boards before he received a third which finally worked.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:15 PM

I am used to swapping - been doing it for years through the knife swap.

But the tray recently broke so that needs replacing so I thought I might as well consider a new swap method.

It was going to be flip top.

Until I remembered no solder mods which I might as well use because the warranty is over and I have already broke the seal.

I have a version 4 ps2.

I am in the UK and the only place I found still selling mod chips is:

***********.psxservices.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=25_27

They sell two - the Neokey/Sbox and the R Key.

Was a newer one released?

Are they easy to install?

Thanks.

jsingh7
Old Aug 09, 2004, 02:40 PM

The R Key at PSXservices is what you're looking for. The price seems a bit high, but I don't know typical pricing in the UK. There are a few variations of the no solder mod, but there isn't really any newer release since they aren't compatible with newer PS2 versions.

Installing a no solder mod is easy. You just open the PS2 and find the installation point where there are two ribbon cables on the side of the DVD drive. Then, open the clips and remove the two ribbon cables. If you look at the R Key picture, you can see the two gold connectors in the lower right corner. The two gold connectors fit into the now vacant ribbon cable slots. You then plug the two ribbon cables into the slots on the lower left corner on the R Key. Re-assemble the PS2 and you're set. You just need a small screwdriver for opening the clips and needle nose pliers to grip the ribbon cables.

There are two different R Key layouts, so make sure you specify the correct PS2 version when ordering so it will match up.

The neokey / sbox is a different type of mod for older systems. It's a USB plug-in that requires soldering one wire into the PS2. The connection points for the wire can be tricky to reach in some PS2 versions. USB mods don't support DVD-R, but they do support 80min DVDrips and PS1 backups. You could have both the R Key and USB mod in your system, which would let you play anything. But at that point you may as well just get a real modchip.
Old Aug 09, 2004, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the info At last something I can work with!

What does the SBox allow playability that the R-key does not?

Also, any disadvantages over the flip top at all?