CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 09, 2004, 01:00 PM

Exclamation computer shutting down while converting?

sponsored links

Ok peeps over the last week or so, i've been trying to convert various avi, xvid files etc using tmpengc .....but of late my computer just switches off after about 10 mins of converting, and won't switch back on unless i turn it off by the switch and back on?, i've never had this problem before, and it happens on every file i convert as of late?
I cannnot fathom it out really?, it has also happened once on ulead dvd factory!

Hope you can help

cheers

doggboy10
Old Aug 10, 2004, 09:47 AM

I had the same problem, I solved by not overclocking my CPU a great deal – I’ve got an Athlon XP Barton 2500+ and it was running at 2.2GHz, I reduced this to 2.0GHz and the problem went away. The CPU at stock speed is 1.8GHz (I think). I’d therefore assumed it was an overheating problem, but I could be way off…just trying to help!
Old Aug 10, 2004, 01:04 PM

Default I agree

Sounds like a temperature problem to me, too.
Make sure that you clean any dust from inside the system, especially the Heatsink and CPU Fan area and also the PSU fans
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:21 PM

Red face overheating

Ok peeps thanks for the help, i think it could be an overheating problem as i've mangaged to format my pc after leaving off for ages, and it seemed to be very hot last night?
How do i not overclock my pc as you suggested m8?.
It's weird how it happened suddenly over a couple of day's when it had'nt done it before(pc's r a pain the arse though now are'nt they!)

Cheers once again doggboy10