CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 10, 2004, 06:44 AM

Angry Don' buy from modchipstore.com!!

sponsored links

I'm a newbie at PS2 modding, maybe you guys can help:

Ordered a Magic 3.1 from modchipstore.com, but what I received does not seem to be a Magic 3.1 !!!! It only has 17 solder points (A, B, I, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, Z, RST, PWR, GND). For what I've seen, this looks like a Duo or Duo2 chip. What really sucks is that the PCB says "Magic 3.1+ autodetect V0-V8" and the IC has a cheesy "V0-V8" sticker covering a Ubicom chip (which I hear is 100% give-a-way that the chip is a fake). I think I got ripped off!!!!!!

My question is, If I can't return the modchip, is it worth it to try and install and use, and is a Duo better than a Magic3.1?? I have a v4 PS2 (SCPH-35001, GT3 version) and I just replaced the laser so It reads all discs, even DVD+R

thx,
-jg
Old Aug 10, 2004, 03:57 PM
Veteran

Not only is it a fake Magic, it's a fake Duo as well. What I mean is it seems you got one of the cheap Duo clones, with a Magic 3 sticker on it. Does it look like any of these? ********duomodchip.com/english/warning.htm I would not install it if I were you, the clone Duos (and Magic for that matter) have been known to cause many problems, you could be sacrificing your system. It looks like that site you bought from is not in the States? There are many good options in the States (assuming that's where you are based on your model number) and in Canada that you can purchase from. You can try to get a refund, but I would imagine that will be next to impossible.
And to answer another question, yes, the (real) Duo is better than the (real) Magic 3.1.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 11:07 PM

thx madison,

That's what I suspected, you get what you pay for ($20). I'm not sure where modchipstore.com is based, but the package was shipped from Texas.

If Duo is better than Magic, which modchip is the best value for v4 (most reliable, best compatibility with media) in your opinion? Also, can you recommend any sites where I won't get ripped off?
Old Aug 11, 2004, 07:50 AM

You get what you pay for???

Man dont let them put you off!!!

Too start with, my NEW DUO2 SE (second edition) modchips
are $18 shipped!

Plus they are FULLY original and not clones!

If you payed $20 for a clone then thats a joke and you were ripped off.

Get your money back and buy from someone else.

If he sells clones, then im pretty sure you will get a clone DUO1/2 modchip.

My ones are DUO2 SE which currently has NO CLONE available yet as it
has only been released!

9HomerSimpson9
Old Aug 11, 2004, 02:14 PM
Veteran

For V4 models, there are many choices, dpends what features you are looking for. Any of the Duo models will work great (non clones that is). They offer basic backup use, and imports. The Matrix Infinity is one of the best chips out now, it offers everything above, auto-boot (you don't have to hit anything special to boot DVD movies and PSone like every other chip). You can also find some good deals on Messiah chips, which are generally pretty reliable. Personally, I would stay away from Magic, they used to be a decent deal for what you got, but you can now get Duos for the same or less. As for sites, I get all of my chips from Foundmy.com, and highly recommend them. They do ship out of Canada however. And I guess Homer Simpson above feels that he has a pretty good deal on chips as well...
Old Aug 12, 2004, 08:36 AM

Thanks to the anonimity of the internet, I probably won't be getting a refund (sigh). I've left three emails (sigh again) with the company and no response (of course). There's no phone number to call and I can't travel to Texas to wring anyone's neck. But I can tell everyone I know
"DON'T BUY FROM MODCHIPSTORE.COM"

Meantime, I ordered a Duo 2 SE ($20 shipped) from a local place, ImpactMods, which is an official reseller. If I get ripped again it's only a 30 minute drive. I'll let you know how the install goes...

-jg