CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 12, 2004, 02:08 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Good luck on the install. The v4 can be a bit tricky if you've never done a mod install before. Just watch out for the B and I points, because if you do the Vias wrong, it can destroy your mainboard...
Old Aug 14, 2004, 01:43 PM

Default Omg

When you guys talk about destroying the PS2 by installing this chip it really scares me to death, i just had to get a new model PS2 and all i really want a modchip for is to play DVD burnt games...thats it...otherwise i would rather just not tamper with my PS2. I wish I knew of a local place in Columbus or somewhere near that i could have a professional help me, but unfortunately i dont know of anyone that could around here.

Idk which serial number to look at to tell you what model PS2 i have so i'll copy them both down
shown in black and white is PX and shown in the ps2 sticker is AU...I also have a HDD and network adapter

i just want to know what will get the job done...what will let me have an awesome gaming experience for burnt DVD games, and wont ruin my PS2 or HDD...PLEASE RESPOND

by the way, could someone tell me what solder is in lamence terms?

any info would be greatly appreciated, especially if your from Columbus/Westerville and could help me out
Old Aug 16, 2004, 06:24 AM
Veteran

With the HDD, you will want the Matrix Infinity or the DMS3 chips for your system. You probably have a V9/10 if your system is new. As far as the install goes, if you don't know what solder is, I'm guessing you will definitely want to send your system to a professional. Your $150 PS2 is usually not a good place to start learning how to solder....
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:01 PM

Default Update

Ok, I installed a genuine Duo 2 SE and it works great. My v4 plays all original and burned (DVD+R) PSX, PS2 and DVD. I must say that the soldering job was the hardest I've ever done. A few of the points, namely the SMD bios pins and the vias, were extremely hard to solder, or even SEE for that matter! But I took my time, used a good soldering iron and equipment, and checked continuity for all connections.

Tantrik, if you don't have any experience soldering and this is your only beloved, shiny new PS2, then I wouldn't recommend trying it yourself.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 01:56 PM

Default modchipstore.com

terrible customer service, worst in my life, and i'm not over-exaggerating.

I purchased a xenium modchip and a 120GB HDD from them, ($200), and installed it on my xbox (i did it correctly). it worked for exactly 30 days (time of warrenty) on the 31st day, it just erased everything on the HDD and screwed everything up.

I sent it back to them to get it fixed, they said my Xbox and modchip are fried, i need a new one. So i buy a new xbox and modchip ($300).

I specifically ask them to send it to me fully assembled and in working order, and they accepted. When i received it, didn't work. I kept getting an Xbox "you need service" error code.

So i ask for a refund if i send it back, they say "yes send it back".

I sent it back ONE hour after I received it on my doorstep.

Then for 3 months, they avoided me.

I finally submitted around 50 support tickets before they answered, and what did they say? This EXACTLY:
"We did not receive the Xbox back from you."

That's it, it took them 3 months to say THAT? From when I received that message, it took them 2 or 3 weeks between messages to contact me. not even 2 or 3 days which is terrible.

I say, yes i did, i sent it the same day i received it 3 months ago.

They say, sorry it wasn't in the mail station.

I say "here is a tracking number you ****in idiots, it got to you in 2 weeks " (they are in US, i'm in canada)

So that has now been another 2 and a half months of discussion. But from that "tracking number" message i sent, they took another 2 months to reply to THAT message.

they say, "oh yes now we found it, the company is unable to give you a refund".

What, are they broke??? Lets ****ing hope so.

they say "someone has VOLUNTEERED to refund your money via paypal"

I say "great where is it?"

they say "he sent it to [email]blahr@blahr.com[/email]"

i say "my email is [email]blah@blah.com[/email]"

they say "our mistake, did you receive it now?"

i say "no, i received $198 USD from you, but not my $800 that i coughed up throughout this whole ****in process"

they say "well thats our policy, 50% restocking charge."

i say "wholy ****!!! most companies charge ****in 4%!"

they say "too bad"

i say "I paid out ****in 800 and you cant even refund me the total cost of the item I sent back? You have 2 of my xboxs, 2 of my modchips, and a 120 GB hard drive. and I paid for ALL the shipping. how is that fair?"

they say "Would you like to purchase anything else? We'll knock off $6."

and that's when i ****in accepted the $198 and decided, I got ****in lucky with $198.....

DO NOT BUY FROM MODCHIPSTORE.COM ****ING DONT!

I am posting this message ****ing EVERYWHERE. I also have a log of the support ticket(s) saved on my PC if you are interested. The latest support ticket was created on Posted on 23 May 2005 10:36 PM and ran until 29 Sep 2005 11:13 AM. From the time I got the Xbox and Modchip (2nd shipment they sent to me) till today. It was just resolved today (Sept 29th)
Old Sep 29, 2005, 02:07 PM

terrible customer service, worst in my life, and i'm not over-exaggerating.

I purchased a xenium modchip and a 120GB HDD from them, ($200), and installed it on my xbox (i did it correctly). it worked for exactly 30 days (time of warrenty) on the 31st day, it just erased everything on the HDD and screwed everything up.

I sent it back to them to get it fixed, they said my Xbox and modchip are fried, i need a new one. So i buy a new xbox and modchip ($300).

I specifically ask them to send it to me fully assembled and in working order, and they accepted. When i received it, didn't work. I kept getting an Xbox "you need service" error code.

So i ask for a refund if i send it back, they say "yes send it back".

I sent it back ONE hour after I received it on my doorstep.

Then for 3 months, they avoided me.

I finally submitted around 50 support tickets before they answered, and what did they say? This EXACTLY:
"We did not receive the Xbox back from you."

That's it, it took them 3 months to say THAT? From when I received that message, it took them 2 or 3 weeks between messages to contact me. not even 2 or 3 days which is terrible.

I say, yes i did, i sent it the same day i received it 3 months ago.

They say, sorry it wasn't in the mail station.

I say "here is a tracking number you ****in idiots, it got to you in 2 weeks " (they are in US, i'm in canada)

So that has now been another 2 and a half months of discussion. But from that "tracking number" message i sent, they took another 2 months to reply to THAT message.

they say, "oh yes now we found it, the company is unable to give you a refund".

What, are they broke??? Lets ****ing hope so.

they say "someone has VOLUNTEERED to refund your money via paypal"

I say "great where is it?"

they say "he sent it to [email]blahr@blahr.com[/email]"

i say "my email is [email]blah@blah.com[/email]"

they say "our mistake, did you receive it now?"

i say "no, i received $198 USD from you, but not my $800 that i coughed up throughout this whole ****in process"

they say "well thats our policy, 50% restocking charge."

i say "wholy ****!!! most companies charge ****in 4%!"

they say "too bad"

i say "I paid out ****in 800 and you cant even refund me the total cost of the item I sent back? You have 2 of my xboxs, 2 of my modchips, and a 120 GB hard drive. and I paid for ALL the shipping. how is that fair?"

they say "Would you like to purchase anything else? We'll knock off $6."

and that's when i ****in accepted the $198 and decided, I got ****in lucky with $198.....

DO NOT BUY FROM MODCHIPSTORE.COM ****ING DONT!

I am posting this message ****ing EVERYWHERE. I also have a log of the support ticket(s) saved on my PC if you are interested. The latest support ticket was created on Posted on 23 May 2005 10:36 PM and ran until 29 Sep 2005 11:13 AM. From the time I got the Xbox and Modchip (2nd shipment they sent to me) till today. It was just resolved today (Sept 29th)