CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 25, 2004, 09:27 AM

Default "cannot find server.."problems with Tiscali and Internet Explorer 6

sponsored links

I have an off-peak dial up account with tiscali (was lineone)and over the last 3 weeks or so I have been able to connect to the internet but 80-90% of the time when I try to access web pages I cannot and receive the usual "cannot find " message. On the rare occasions that I do manage to view web pages I never seem to get beyond 7 or 8 minutes before a change of page results in the cannot find scenario.

My email via outlook express 6 is working fine - suggesting that there is no modem/line problem.

I am running Windows XP Pro (SP1) on a PIII 450. IE6 firewall is running. I usually have AVG running as an anti-virus measure. No viruses detected. No apparent "rogue" software etc seems to be running.

I have had no reasonable help from Tiscali - they just stated the obvious regarding dial-up settings.

It may be a coincidence but I ran the All-in-One Secretmaker program that was shown in Computeractive recently (downloaded from the link here)and I used its own uninstall shortly after to remove it. Is it possible that the pop-up, spam and privacy features of this software have caused trouble?

Does anyone suggest that a clean uninstall/install of IE6 may do the trick? If so, IE6 doesn't appear on the Add/Remove Program list so could someone please advise how to do this?

Many thanks.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:37 PM

Hi there,
I have had similar problems with Tiscali just for the past ten days or so. Everything goes great then it starts beginning to load a page and stops, and repeats this for a while then randomly loads another page fine.
So your problem may simply be Tiscali itself since I have different software to you: I am using a new Macbook, with Safari, and a pure ethernet modem.
I checked all my setup with Apple, and with my modem manufacturer and that all seems fine, which it should be since I have altered nothing since before when everything worked great.
If I leave an unloading page for a time then it gives the message unable to find server. It happens on any page.
Hope this is of some help to stop any barking up the wrong tree....
Good luck (as that seems to be the only reliable currency about at the mo)
Closed Thread