CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 29, 2004, 04:10 AM

Default Xbox Live through my laptop....

Wassup people,

I'm trying to connect to xbox live through the wireless internet connection on my laptop by hooking up my xbox to the ethernet port on my laptop... if that doesnt make sense hear is a diagram (sort of):

[XBOX ]<---(ethernet cord)--->[LAPTOP]<---(wireless network)--->[internet]

I would buy a wireless adapter for the xbox, but I spent all my money on the laptop, so I figure maybe I can use my laptop as the wireless adapter.

can someone help me out?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 01:52 PM

Default Well, it's difficult without seeing it, but

You have to make sure that your laptop is set to share the internet connection.
I don't know if you've ever run a server, (basically, one pc connects to the internet, all other systems connect through the pc), it's exactly the same as that.
Also, you have to forward the ports through any firewalls and the router you are using.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 11:25 AM
Veteran

You need a crossover cable between the xbox and laptop. Then enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the laptop to share the wireless connection.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 12:34 AM

Thanks guys! Had the same issue, found your posts via Google, worked like a charm. I registered on this forum for the sole purpose of thanking you. You've made this world a better place.

If anyone else is trying this, you can find Internet Connection Sharing by doing:

Start button -> Settings -> Network Connections
Right-click the appropriate connection (likely your Wireless one, duh)
Click the "Advanced Tab", and check that first box.

Reboot laptop & Xbox, make sure they're connected with a CROSSOVER ethernet cable (not the regular kind), and you should be good to go. This really rocks - you just transformed your laptop into a $110 peripheral for your Xbox.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 03:59 PM

Default same

ok i pretty much have the same problem but mine is a desktop now first how do i know if it is a crossover cable or not and second of all when i go to wireless connection and turn on ics my internet stops working but then i turn it off and it works again and lastly do i need an NIC ethernet or just a normal one or something that cam with my computer? thanks a lot
Old Dec 06, 2004, 07:38 PM

Unhappy aaagh

im trying to connect through my laptop, and when i am trying to set up an xbox live account it says that the cables are connected but it cant find the internet. what do i do, im desperate.