CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 16, 2004, 11:20 PM

Exclamation How to convert any image to selfbootable in just minutes!

sponsored links

Hi I’m new here and decided to share some info that may be very helpful to others. I can not guarantee it will work all the time 100 percent because I’ve only done this with about 10 or so backups that didn’t self boot.. I have however been successful with every attempt. This comes in handy especially with NRG (Nero) files. First mount the image on your pc to check for 2 important files 1ST_READ.BIN and IP.BIN. Just about all backups should contain these files no matter how they are copied. You can mount the backups using any VR-CD tool you wish. I recommend Daemon tools found here ***********.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/index.php. Skip this next step if the file is a Bin image already and does not need to be converted to one. Download Magic ISO found here ***********.magiciso.com. This tool is great! It will convert ANY image file to a BIN or ISO format. Simply select tools from the top menu then click “Any format to BIN….” Select your source file then your output filename Example: Source File “E-DINOC.NRG” Output “E-DINOC.BIN” The conversion process takes at the most 1-2 minutes depending on file size. Now look at the pretty BIN file you have….YAAAA! Now go grab Bin2BootGUI found here: ********dreamcast.emulate-this.de/?page=bin2bootgui and run it. Follow the instructions as followed. Step one: Drag a non-self-bootable BIN image into this program to convert it into a self bootable CDI image. That’s it! You now have a self bootable CDI image to burn with Disk Juggler. So just 2 programs to convert the image, and no need to type anything but a filename. Let me know if this works for everyone. It’s worked for me and I hope it works for you!
Old Sep 18, 2004, 10:40 PM

you better burn bin2boot images TAO in Alcohol 120% or your PC wont be able to read the disc.
Old Sep 19, 2004, 11:56 PM

Thats true but why would you care if your pc can read the disk? I only care if it works on my Dreamcast. I guess if you wanted to back up a backup. Other than that I see no reason.
Old Sep 22, 2004, 11:01 PM

exactly.....what if you scratch the cd and you want make another? you cant cause your pc cant read the cd. sometimes, a pc can read a scratched cd better than DC.

but its most useful for homebrew stuff you can backup files to cd and delete it from your HD to save space.
Old Oct 07, 2004, 12:30 PM
Veteran

hrb2k, What in the heck are you talking about!? I've copied enough non-TAO written Dreamcast games to know your statement is wrong.

Once the game is on a CD-R, whether it was originally written using TAO or not has little effect on whether you can read it again to make additional copies. You're PC drive can still read and copy the CD if you're using the software correctly.

Last edited by QWERTY; Oct 07, 2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2004, 11:25 AM

i'm talking about bin2boot, data/data cdi images. with alot of users. they burn it DAO or RAW Write in DJ and then their cd drive wont be able to read the burned cd. it works the same when you use cdi2nero to make a DAO nrg image and burn it DAO in nero. the dc will read it fine, but most users say that their pc cant read the cd.

my suggestion is to burn bin2boot data/data cdi images using the TAO option in alcohol 120%. that way you DC can read it as well as your PC. it works best for making copies, or backing up files to homebrew app cds. selfboot inducer uses bin2boot to create their images.

so all i'm saying is, to be safe, burn bin2boot data/data cdi images TAO. somehow, DAO messes it up. isobuster gives errors saying it can read sector 16 PVD or any other VD. of course this doesnt effect audio/data selfboots.