CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 06, 2004, 05:27 AM

Default Enigmatic behavior

sponsored links

Hi,
I've isntalled a matrix infinity chip in my V10 ps2 and it seemed to work nicely, it booted everything they way it should and i closed the machine.
a few hours later it started acting strangely, first i wouldn't boot at all, then i managed to make it boot but later it wouldn't read any media, though it did seem to try to franticly read it, moving the head and back and forth and changing the spinning speed.
This morning i decided to disconnect the chip and ever since i did that my ps2 wouldn't boot at all, the red led changes to green and when i press the eject button, it flashes the purple led and spins a little after 10 secs or so... other than that... nada...
needless to say i checked for shorts all around but i did not find anything.
I wonder if anyone has any idea of what could cause such a behavior... (before i goes to the garbage can)
Thanks.
Old Oct 06, 2004, 01:36 PM

if it happens to have killed your ps2 dont throw it out. try selling it on ebay for parts, ive also seen a site or two that will buy them for parts.
Old Oct 08, 2004, 02:52 PM

Default I am slightly better...

I found a slippery short circuit on the back side of my mobo and cleared it.
Now the ps2 boots to the browser screen but can't read any media (spinning round and round in vein).
Since it's a lousy v9, I suspected the coils might have problems only to discover that the focusing coil has a 1.8 ohm res (the tracking is better at 4.7 ohm) and the LA6 chip also seems burnt (why the hell did they put a fuse there if it can't stop it from burning???).
I've ordered a replacement LA6 chip (RII) and i'm contemplating whether to order a laser unit as well (utterly expensive, crappy sanyo hd7!!!!!!!) since i saw that some people report having working systems with less resistance and since i read that the RII version should be burn proof.
Based on your experience, do you think it's wise or do I have a good chance of burning the LA6 RII as well?
Old Jan 19, 2005, 05:33 PM

Be careful to replace the LA6508 if the coils are fried as fried coils may fry your replacement chip too!