CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 12, 2004, 06:51 AM

sponsored links

If there confusing you how do you think I feel

Anyway the LG and Pioneer look good I'll check there site to see if it's in black..

What do you think of this [URL=***********.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/reviews/58220/asus-drw0804p.html]Asus review

Andy
Old Oct 12, 2004, 08:14 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

I'm not confused, just annoyed at a few comments. Anyway,

I wouldn't consider the ASUS as it's not a dual-layer burner. If you are going to buy a DVD burner, that is one of the minimum requirements.

The LG and Pioneer are both great. It just depends if you need or value DVD RAM.

Personally, I think it doesn't hurt having the option of an extra format, especially for hard drive backups, but either drive is a good choice.

You now have all the facts, so it's entirely your decision.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 05:05 AM

according to recent tests, the Pioneer isn't the fastest at dual layer. the NEC 3500 is, at under 25 minutes for D/L, supposed to be one the the best burners out at present, also NEC drives have the option of hacked F/W to support heaps more media and to make them region free. i have the 1300a and 2510 i wouldn't consider buying anything else atm. with the exeption of the LG GSA-4160B or the LaCie300776EK (external) which is based on the NEC 3500.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:15 AM
Veteran

What do you mean fast?

You mean 4x DL fast or 2.4x DL fast? I think you mean it does 4x DL, which is faster than 2.4x DL, yes, but where you gonna get 4x DL media? I read it comes out in Jan.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 07:45 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyguy
yes, but where you gonna get 4x DL media?
With most decent DVD burners, like the Pioneer, you can use lower rated speed media and burn at a higher speed.

A lot of manufacturers, again like Pioneer, have altered their firmware so that you can use 8x media and burn it at 16x, and use 2.4x and burn it at 4x.

Anyway, media speed rating is basically what the disc is guaranteed to be able to be written to [b]minimum[/b].

It doesn't mean you can't burn them faster, just there is no guarantee if you do.

Another important point is that it is not only unfair, but useless to compare burner speeds when they use different mechanisms.

The Pioneer, uses constant-linear velocity (Z-CLV) write strategy, which divides the disc into sections, each of which is recorded to progressively faster.

It's not until you reach the outer edges of the disc does the drive reach anywhere near full speed.

What this means is that unless you are constantly burning discs to their full capacity, there is little difference between "faster" and "slower" units.