CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 24, 2004, 03:41 PM

Default Crossover & ethernet

sponsored links

I have some extra cables I have found in my computer/offce area. I think some may be crossover cables & some may be standard ethernet cables. How can I tell the difference between them & know which is which?
Old Dec 03, 2004, 08:25 PM

If they are pre-made cables it may be a bit hard to see the wiring on either end of the cable but you should still be able to see the colors of the wires if you look at the end of the RJ-45 plug. If the wires are identical on either end then its a straight through cable, if the orange and green pairs have been swapped then it's a crossover cable.

Have a look here for straight through and crossover diagrams ********yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm

Some crossover cables are marked with crossover writtten on them. Short of that you may need a cable tester to find out which is which.

HTH
Old Oct 23, 2005, 11:38 AM

try borrowing a lan tester it will tell you if it is a strat or crossover or short or no connectivity