CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 10, 2004, 12:45 PM

Question 2 routers together

sponsored links

I have a 4 port NETGEAR router. I might be getting another 4 port NETGEAR router (w/ print server). Can both of these routers be connected to each other to give me more ports or is another type device needed?
Old Dec 11, 2004, 04:05 PM

Some routers have an Uplink port for this, but if there isn't one the same result can be achieved using a crossover cable.

Computers and network printers etc. are known as DTE (Data Teminal Equipment) while routers, hubs and switches are known as DCE (Data Connection Equipment). The layout of the pins on DTE are the opposite to DCE, so that the transmission signal of one is connected to the receive of the other, so normal straight cables can be used with no crossing over of wires. This means DTE cannot connect straight to another DTE, and also DCE cannot connect to another DCE, otherwise the 'listen' on one will be joined to the 'listen' on the other, which is no good is it.
This is why a crossover cable is used when only two computers are networked without a hub (DTE-DTE), but you'll find that crossover cables can join two hubs or switches together too. The 'uplink' port on posh routers is just another port with the pins switched around.
If you plan to make a crossover cable, make sure you look up how to wire it, as the pins are not just reversed, the grounds still have to match up.

hope that helps
Old Dec 11, 2004, 06:45 PM

Default 2 routers

Yea, thanks a lot. I have a few crossover cables that I'll have to maybe try using. I think I got a little better understanding from that explanation. Much appreciated.