CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 08, 2005, 12:40 PM

Talking Hey guys something to try

For those of u that have a DVD burner and a CD burner. If the two drives are hooked up to the same cable. Unplug the CD burner, and it should work. If u have a SATA hard drive u can hook up the DVD burner and the CD burner on seperate cables and it should work. From what i can tell windows kinda gets confused, even if u have one hooked up as master and the other as slave.

Hope that helps some of u
Old Feb 09, 2005, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circe
I have the same problem. My CD drive does every thing except burn CD's. When it was first installed it worked fine, than it stopped recognizing that there was a blank disk in the drive and would ask for one to be inserted and would not believe that I did indeed put one in! So I tried a bunch of stuff, I saved the driver files to my hard drive, my friend told me I could delete and reinstall them off the hard drive but I was leery of doing this so on impulse I sprayed some of that caned air into the drive and than it started working. I don't know if it was the sprayed air or something else I did. So now, about a month later, I go to burn something and much to my dismay, it is doing this again! Of course first I try the spray air thing but not helping. I see the suggestions by ajosin here in this thread but I'm not sure how they would apply to a problem that seems to come and go. If anyone comes up with the solution please post as this is really frustrating since I know the burner CAN work!
Be very careful with compressed air blowers. Some of these are too powerful and can blow components apart!
Get yourself a cd cleaning disk, preferably a liquid type. That should sort your problems.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 10:27 AM

Exclamation dvd burner will not recognize blank dvd media

Insert blank dvd-r and click on the drive properties and it says 0 bytes. The drive description also changes from DVD-RW Drive (E:) to CD Drive (E:) Pinnacle thinks the drive is empty and tells me to insert a blank dvd. Bottom line... I can't burn dvd anymore!

When I double click on the E: drive it pops up a warning box and says

“E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.”

What’s interesting is at the top of the window it says D:\ like it thinks the E drive is the D drive. Windows XP is confused!

Debug: Burned two home movies to dvd-r (same lot of dvds) the day before. Worked great. I have a Toshiba SD-R5112 (Mad Dog 4X burner). I also have an NEC DV-5800A dvd player that came with my Dell desktop (running XP pro). [B]I think this is a software issue because both of my drives no longer recognize the blank dvds.[/B] Inserting cd-r media works great... it recognizes the cd's as being empty and ready to burn to. Both drives still play DVD movies including ones I've burned.

What I tried this weekend.
1. Started in safe mode. Uninstalled the dvd drives. Shut down. Swapped them. Set one as master one as slave (where before they were cable select). This did nothing.
2. Tried Microsoft's CD-R fix (MSFT article 316529). This also did nothing.
3. Disabled IMAPI CD burning
4. Reloaded Pinnacle Video editing software... and the dvd decoder. Still no success.

Anyone else have suggestions??? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBob
My DVD burner (HP dvd writer dvd300i) stopped recognizing blank media, whether I use Windows XP burning utility, Nero or CloneCD to burn a disk. It ejects the disk saying "No disk in drive or disk not blank". It reads other CDs and DVDs just fine, no matter what drive or software created them. Windows XP used to pop open a window asking what to do (burn a music or data cd, use Nero, etc.), but now it doesn't even do that. The disks I'm using are from the same box of blanks I've successfully written to before, so I know it's not a media compatibility issue. Anybody else have this problem and what did you do to fix it?
Old Mar 06, 2005, 07:44 AM

Default Burner fixed

Had the same problem,2 Sony burners and after awhile they would burn DVD but not cds, so I tried the Microsoft fix at :
********support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529
And now everything is working fine again.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 07:55 PM

Default Did you figure it out?

I have the exact same problem with my I/O Magic 16X Dual Format/Dual Layer burner that I just bought right before x-mas. It's worked flawlessly until now. I emailed their tech support so hopefully I hear back soon. Meanwhile, anybody have any luck with this one yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstoro
Insert blank dvd-r and click on the drive properties and it says 0 bytes. The drive description also changes from DVD-RW Drive (E to CD Drive (E Pinnacle thinks the drive is empty and tells me to insert a blank dvd. Bottom line... I can't burn dvd anymore!

When I double click on the E: drive it pops up a warning box and says

“E:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function.”

What’s interesting is at the top of the window it says D:\ like it thinks the E drive is the D drive. Windows XP is confused!

Debug: Burned two home movies to dvd-r (same lot of dvds) the day before. Worked great. I have a Toshiba SD-R5112 (Mad Dog 4X burner). I also have an NEC DV-5800A dvd player that came with my Dell desktop (running XP pro). [B]I think this is a software issue because both of my drives no longer recognize the blank dvds.[/B] Inserting cd-r media works great... it recognizes the cd's as being empty and ready to burn to. Both drives still play DVD movies including ones I've burned.

What I tried this weekend.
1. Started in safe mode. Uninstalled the dvd drives. Shut down. Swapped them. Set one as master one as slave (where before they were cable select). This did nothing.
2. Tried Microsoft's CD-R fix (MSFT article 316529). This also did nothing.
3. Disabled IMAPI CD burning
4. Reloaded Pinnacle Video editing software... and the dvd decoder. Still no success.

Anyone else have suggestions??? Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN
Had the same problem,2 Sony burners and after awhile they would burn DVD but not cds, so I tried the Microsoft fix at :
********support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316529
And now everything is working fine again.
Thanks for the link, hopefully this can take care of my problem as well.