CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 08, 2005, 04:03 AM

Default need help with a sony dvdrw dw-d22a

sponsored links

ordered a sony dvd rw dw-d22a drive to back up some dvds and burn audio. I have had the drive for about 3 weeks now and it is very inconsistent. It burns audio cds fine and will play and read all the dvd r media i have tried. The strange part is that it plays certain commercial dvds but others I have no luck with. I flashed it to a Lite on dvdrw sohw-16335 because it is the same as my sony drive, its just my sony is a oem. I had a ati dvd decoder installed and that wont work and I have nero also, what do you think my problem is? I want to back up some dvds of mine and burn some dual layer disks. I really need help! Or else this drive is going back to new egg. thanks so much for your time
Old Jan 10, 2005, 07:50 PM

Default Can someone help me please

Bump for help
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:52 AM

Default one better...

So yeah, after staying up all night building a rig, with this same drive from newegg, I have a very similar situation. Have booted up like 4 times and only once was able to detect ANY media. Went to bed, got up, popped in a dvd (to set the region to region 1) and am unable to do so, says something to the efftect of "make sure the dvd is region 1 media and you are an administrator" (both of which are true in this case finding nemo widescreen and im admin, tried starship troopers too). Ok, so I cant browse the movie or even play it this morning. Can't recognize the cd for my mobo drivers (but last night i installed everything when it worked the first time). So at this point, I'm ready to shell out a few more bucks for a more respectable product. I am shocked this has the sony name on it, but then again, I may just be missing something fundamental. The drive is on the secondary IDE channel as a master. Thinking I may switch it to primary slave and see what happens. Im going to try to tinker with it a bit from a driver/software perspective and see what I can find. I can't even locate any driver or manual information from Sony Electronics website, google returns about 4k hits, of which, most are unhelpful.

I too would appreciate some input on the issue....

Mazrach
Old Jan 30, 2005, 12:51 PM

md343,

Good luck returning your drive to New Egg. I'm pretty sure that once you flash it, it's yours forever. Most manufacturers sites state up front that the liability for flashes, and/or firmware upgrades belongs entirely to the user.

Maddhatter62
Old Feb 06, 2005, 08:14 PM

Default Some help?

Were did you get the information about the Sony and the Liteon being identical units? I would like to see the site or posting.

If the software was bundled with the drive, the software (esp. Nero) is probably bonded to the drive ID information, when you flashed it all that changed.

For backing up DVD you can use ***********.dvdshrink.org/what.html ***********.dvddecrypter.com/ for helpful information ***********.dvddemystified.com/ ***********.videohelp.com/ .

Good luck
Old Feb 06, 2005, 08:17 PM

Default Found

Just managed to find a PDF manual for this drive, here's the link. ***********.infoshop.gr/photos/pdf/36736.pdf
Hope someone finds it useful.