CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 20, 2005, 09:10 AM

Question What is the TOC disk?

sponsored links

Got a ps2 slim
cant load any backups...tells me the disk is invalid ps2 disk
same occurs if try to load a Real game using swap magic

It says after Swap Magic has loaded - please insert a TOC disk

What is this/??
Old Jan 31, 2005, 07:51 AM

Well it depends on what disc you are using. If you are booting say, a DVD backup, load your DVD swap magic and pop the DVD backup in, or do the same with a CD. Also, are you using the the tool for the slim PS2 that keeps it from knowing if your PStwo is open? If not, then it will always say error because the PS2 is re-accessing the disc and finds it invalid. If you are using the tool for the PStwo, then you are booting it wrong. Let me explain TOC for you.

When the PS2 reads a normal DVD/CD, it reads the size of the game, also known as the TOC. This TOC is very important when booting a backup or import game. Lets say you had a "boot disc" that was a DVD and its TOC, or disc size is 1.5GB in size, and you wanted to boot a game that was 3GB. Since the PS2 has read that "boot disc" as being 1.5GB, when you swap the game out for the 3GB one it wont work because the TOC is too big. Get it? So you would find a boot disc like the swap magic and use that to boot the 3GB game since the SM is a bootable 4.6GB disc, so anything up to 4.6GB should work fine. Same thing goes with the CD backups, anything up to 650MB should work fine. The SM CD should be able to boot them easy. It gets a little iffy with the dvd-rips on CD since a lot of them are around 700-800MB in size. Also, you may hear people refer to the TOC in minutes. If a CD game is, say, 650MB in size the minutes are abour 65 minutes in length. So again, lets say you burn a game image that is 71 minutes in TOC (700MB) your SM CD with its 65 minute TOC might not boot it. I say might not because I have booted a FEW cd backup rips that were 75 minutes and they worked. Its safe to say if the TOC was 65 minutes for your backup, the SM CD should get it fine.

Before you make a backup of a game for use with the SM CD version, find out the TOC size of the CD first before you burn it. The SM CD can play most games with up to 650MB in size. If you go over, it may not work. With DVD backups, I have booted hundreds of DVDs ranging in size of less than 1GB up to the max 4.6GB with no problems. It will not work with a DVD-9 or, dual layer backup(8.5GB), however there is a way to boot those, and I will get to that soon.

Sometimes you need a bost in how you boot your games. Look for a prgram called DVD Loader. You can search for it at places like www.swapmagicfix.com and www.************ and search in the forums. The DVD loader, also known as CD loader, is great with certain games that have extra protection on them. It also alows you to insert a larger TOC game when the DVD/CD loader loads, which brings me to DVD-9 backups and imports. You CAN boot them but again, TOC is the wall to climb. Say you have a backup of Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance. Our TOC disc will be Xenosaga(real, not backup) When you boot your SM DVD or CD, switch to the DVD/CD loader, when prompted, press triangle(non slim PS2), or the disc tray open button(Slim PS2), place Xenosaga in there, let the program read the disc, and when it says on the bottem left corner, PS2 DVD, make SURE your tool is making the PStwo thinks its still closed. Pres the X button and in a few seconds, it should load. If you have anymore ??? just ask!