CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 24, 2005, 04:23 AM

Default Matrix Infinity in PS2 v7 or v9?

sponsored links

Need an advice: since Iīm fed up with my Magic 3 in my v7 PS2, I got a used Matrix Infinity and an unchipped PS2 v9. Now I have two options: let the MI be installed in the v9 (with LA-Fix) and sell the chipped v7 or exchange the chip in my v7 and sell the v9. I suppose the lasers are both working properly. Which one is the one to go with? Is v7 definately better than v9, or are they just about the same (besides fan noise)? Thanx for any help!
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:41 PM

I personally prefer V9 over V7 so if I were you, I would mod the V9 and sell the V7 with the Magic3 chip inside. V7 or V9 may be a matter of personal taste. I never thought of it that way, but whatever way you look at it your V7 is more than likely more used than the V9 so why not stick with the new one and sell the old as long as it is still working properly?

If you choose to mod the V9 it is extremely important to do a romeo mod. I assume that is what you call "LA-Fix". My friend modded a brand new V10 without romeo mod and left it running for about five minutes to test it. This is true, he left the room for five minutes and when he came back the LA6508 and coils were fried and this system was brand new out of the box. I helped him to hook up an LA6508 fix and some new coils today so the system is back in business, but he learnt something today. First romeo, then chip! Do the romeo mod or expect trouble.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 06:17 PM

Thanx a lot, Kunio. You are the first one I meet who prefers the V9, and I hoped to find someone like you! Selling the chipped V7 is way more effective (get for money for it) than selling the V9, but I was afraid of giving this often-praised V7 out of my hand. Now, if you have tested both and prefer the V9, I feel safe to go with the V9 as well, even though I actually donīt know how much it was used because I just got it from someone I donīt know personally. Yeah, of course I have the guy who is going to chip it make the romeo mod, but thanx for reminding me anyway. People say the V7 has a better mainboard layout, components with longer lifetime, stronger fan cools better and so on, lasers are supposed to be better than the V9s (donīt they both use 400Cs?), but I got the impression nobody really had problems with V9s except this LA-burning syndrome. By the way: do LA/BAs burn in V7s as well? So if a V7 stopped to read any media, could it also be the chip, or is it always the laser and can a new laser be installed without the need to check the chip? Thanx a lot for your help!