CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 03, 2005, 06:06 PM

Angry cd-rw drive issues

sponsored links

Is there any cd-rw drive experts out there who can help me? The problems that I am having are with my cd-rw drive: My computer manufacturer is emachines and my os is Windows XP Home Edition version 5.1.2600 with the service pack 2 installed. My cd-rw drive cdwriter's is cdwriter IDE4824 and I am using no burning software. I have had my computer for at three years now (it was new when it was purchased) and I have had no problems with the cd drive and the cdwriter until this year when I began to burn some cds for mp3s and data cds for backups (For the first two years I rarely burned any cds). I was burning cds using cd-rs made by fujifilm(unrewritable) and just two months ago I switched from cd-rs to rewritable cd-rws (memorexs) and I was using them for my data backups because of the ease of being able to update info on it by erasing it. Since they were erasable I would move (copy) the data on the disk to the desktop and would update my backup, erase the cd-rw, and then re-write it back to the disk again. But then I began to run into some problems. Now my cd-drive won't recognize any of my cd-rw media! And my cd-drive was supposed to be made for that specific media! When I put the cd-rw in my drive (already burned) I thought maybe there was something wrong with it so I tried another like it (a clear cd-rw with no data, files, or music on it) and none of them work. My cd-drive (or maybe my computer) can't recognize cd-rws (doesn't seem to matter whether it has any data burned onto it). The green light will blink once when one is placed inside the drive but that is all it will do. In the my computer folder the cd-drive shows up as empty and nothing can be re-written to it. All the cd-rws that I have tried have no scratches and I've tried cleaning dust from inside the drive (as best as I can I don't have much experience with computer hardware and only cleaned around the tray that you place the media in), uninstalling and reinstalling the cd-drive driver and nothing has worked. I forgot to mention that sometimes the cd-rw will be recognized if I put into the drive and restart my computer, turn it off and on again, or restarted from hibernation, but when I take it out of the drive again the problem begans again. However I'm having no problems with cd-rs, my restore cds, music cds, burned music cds that I made (cdrs), or manufactured cds. I've tried researching this problem on Google but I can't find a solution and still don't know what is causing this problem. As I mentioned before I'm not good with computer hardware and I'm hoping someone here can give me a solution that so I won't have to tamper with my cd-drive hardware or purchase a new cd-drive. I do want to gain experience with it but with caution. Does anyone have a solution before I decide to pull the plug on my cd-rw drive? Any help would be a big help!

Last edited by swirliegirl; Feb 03, 2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2005, 10:22 AM
Veteran

[b]My cd-rw drive cdwriter's is cdwriter IDE4824 and I am using no burning software.[/b]

So how are you burning disc's? and will it burn a CDR?

In a couple of lines if poss
Old Feb 05, 2005, 06:53 PM

Default cd-rw issues

The only discs that I have only been able to burn to are cd-r disks (which I just finished doing as a test drive to see if it would still work) I used it as a permanent disk for backups. But I would still like to be able to use my erasable cd-rws as backups though. Does anyone else have the same problem that I'm having this problem?
Old Feb 06, 2005, 06:42 PM
Veteran

so your burner is okay at leased, have, you tried to format the discs, or erase the contents and start again, with the price of CDrs at around the 10p I dont know why peeps wanna mess wiv CDRW any more, a daily backup cost you 70p per week, if you do it to DVDr and make it a session disc, its even less..
Old Feb 06, 2005, 08:55 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttapper
so your burner is okay at leased, have, you tried to format the discs, or erase the contents and start again, with the price of CDrs at around the 10p I dont know why peeps wanna mess wiv CDRW any more, a daily backup cost you 70p per week, if you do it to DVDr and make it a session disc, its even less..
Erasing (formating?) the disc was the first thing I did when I started having problems but that doesn't seem to work anymore. However I'm not sure as to whether or not my cd-rw drive is built to recognize dvd discs. What's a session disc?
Old Feb 07, 2005, 01:56 PM
Veteran

Sorry swirliegirl, I wasn't suggesting your CDRW could write DVDr, i was saying it would be even cheaper to do it that way

A (multi)session disc is one where you are able to write to a CDR (not cdrw) a number of times, the disc doesnt get closed or finalised until its full, so you can write to the disc several times, you cannot alter what is already on, but you can add to it..

Nero allows this very easily..