CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 09, 2005, 02:16 PM

sponsored links

You might not need it, not to sure though with your mod chip, some mod chips don't require you to lock your hard drive, some do. I would at least try xboxhdm, most it would do is not work. I have done a little research on your mod chip. Before I spend the money on a hd from one of those auction sites, I would upgrade my mod chip. While it's not a bad chip, it does not support some features. As compared to the xecutor 3 chip. I have seen this chip at different sites ranging in price from about 50-60 bucks US. It has built in ftp server that was you always have ftp access to your xbox and you can change the bios settings through ftp as well, and a bunch of other stuff that your current one doesn't have. Plus, it don't care if your hd is locked or not

Last edited by sadalius; Feb 09, 2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 02:41 PM

Ok sounds like good advice

I have one other option (Maybe) I have another Xbox modded with 120GB & Apple 5 chip. Could I use Slayer’s 2.5 or 2.6 to unlock this Hard drive to use on the error 16 xbox somehow? Then build a new drive for the Apple 5 xbox?

Or would this just net 2 Error 16 Xbox’s? This of course would leave me with No Xbox @ all.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 03:01 PM

In that case, I would take the drive that your trying to get going and put it in the good xbox, (stash the good hard drive so nothing bad can happen to it, lol) and try running slayers on that xbox. Might save some time and headache.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 03:17 PM

Ok but the fear is if I put the new blank formatted drive in the working Apple 5 chiped system then I may get Error 16 from that one as well? Then I would have 2 bad xbox's?

My idea was to put the Apple xbox drive in the system thats not working. If that works then put the New drive in the Apple 5 system using slayer's 2.6 or 5.

The reasoning behind this was if I dont change the Apple 5 system by trying to install a new HDD then if the Apple HDD dose not help the Error 16 system then maybe I could just re-install it in the Good (Apple5)system with no issues since its the exact same drive?

Sorry if that is confusing but I'm a bit confused @ this point...

Thanks Again
Old Feb 09, 2005, 04:12 PM

It's not the system thats not working, it's the contents thats on the drive. If you take out the hard drive from the working xbox and don't do anything else to it, and then put it back in, it should work ok. However, if you take the working hard drive and put it into the xbox that isn't working and use slayers on it, it would then stand the chance of not working. When you run slayers on the hard drive that is currently having problems, don't choose to flash the bios, just to format the drive and install the dashboard stuff. The whole reason your getting error 16 is because error 16 is dashboard related and the dashboard is on the hard drive.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 04:33 PM

I also ran across this information as well so try this before anything else. Try booting your xbox with an original game disk of some kind, if it boots to the game, then its just the dashboard files thats messed up and you can try Xboxhdm or the hard drive switch that we were talking about earlier. If it gives you error 16 again, you mod chip needs reflashed or has gone bad. I hope that it will still boot to a game disk.