CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 09, 2005, 05:03 AM

Default AMR Modem Problem PCTel AMR V1.2

sponsored links

Hi

I have just purchased a few brand new PCTel AMR v1.2 Modem with win2k & winxp driver disc from Ebay and I'm having a problem getting my systems to install them.

I've used other brands of AMR modems before on other systems without problem. I've made sure the BIOS Onchip Modem is set to AUTO with the latest BIOS update.

I'm been trying with win2k & WinXP, both do not see the modem on start up, so I then tried manually installing the modem from control panel, modem detect does not see the modem either, so I manually add the drivers in.
Which gives me a code 10 error on the device manager.

Has anyone encountered this before and found a solution.

Any pointers would be helpfull.

Many thanks

Happy.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:00 AM

I just installed a PCTel AMR V1.2 modem in a new computer I built. I didn't have the driver, so I did a Google search. I found three drivers, but only one worked. Was this a brand new modem with retail drivers disk? Here are several PCTel AMR XP drivers:

***********.modem-drivers.com/drivers/58/58228.htm

***********.modem-drivers.com/drivers/75/75689.htm

I've purchased "used" modems on Ebay, and every once in a while I get a bad driver...if any driver at all!

Maddhatter62

Last edited by maddhatter62; Feb 09, 2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:15 AM

I brought a batch of 10 brand new (still sealed) with a purple CD with 'Upgrade Kit' on them for all sorts of components. The drivers on the disk didn't work!

I'll give the two drivers a go, thanks.

Did you system see the modem straight off, as mine isn't?

Happy.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 11:28 AM

It saw it this last time...but I've used these AMR modems before, and sometimes you have to add new hardware.

Maddhatter62
Old Feb 09, 2005, 02:25 PM

Hi Maddhatter62

Unfortunatley, neither of those drivers worked. :-(
I went to control panel, then modems, added a new modem, said I had disk, browsed to the location where the drivers were, choose the .inf file, but in the modem window, no modem was shown, so couldn't finish installation!

It has been the exact same for each modem on every machine tried.

Is there a chance that I have got a setting in BIOS wrong, other than the Onchip Modem setting, which is either Disabled or Auto, mines set to Auto?
Or
Could it be that these modems are just not compatible with my systems, ones a Chaintech 6AJA4 mobo and the other three are QDI Advance A10F mobo's?
Or
I haven't yet found the right drivers?
I was told that I need software to run them, not just drivers, but I used a load of SmartLink AMR modems a while back and they all worked a treat with just the driver download from the smartlink site.

Many thanks

Happy.
Old Feb 09, 2005, 02:37 PM

I personally have not had much luck with PCTel modems. I have tried about 3 best I can remember. One of them just flat refused to install no matter what I tried. The other two installed but would not connect or surf as fast as my us robotics modem or my Creative Labs modem blaster. From what I have read, PCTel modems are cheap, don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing them, I just haven't had very good luck with them. I try to stay with a nice hardware modem like the us robotics performance pro modem. They cost a bunch more that a PCTel, but they are nice. Just a matter of budget and preference I suppose. Windows XP has a native driver for PCTel modems or at least for the PCTel modems that I used. They were PCI, may not be the case for the AMR's though.

Last edited by sadalius; Feb 09, 2005 at 02:40 PM.