CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:04 PM

sponsored links

This all falls back to having some sort of memory device for your xbox. You can connect an xbox memory card to your pc by means of a modified controller using xbcd for the drivers and the action replay software available for download from codejunkies.com. I use MadCatz memory cards to be precise. I picked up a couple from my local WalMart for 5 bucks each and they work great with the action replay software. Tutorials for modding the controller to work on the pc can be found at www.llamma.com. You can also use a USB memory stick but again this requires a modified controller connector to work and not all memory sticks work either, I know that the Lexar Secure 128 MB jump drives work because I have used one in the same situation. Basically what it boils down to is that you have to modify your xbox an replace the original Microsoft Dashboard with a replacement dashboard and install something like dvd2xbox to be able to backup games on an xbox. In order to modify it, you either have to use a software exploit which requires copying an exploit game save to the xbox's hard drive by means of some type of memory device, install a mod chip, or do a tsop flash. To my knowledge there is no other way to be able to make backups. the eeprom.bin file is made when you run an exploit game save that allows evolutionx to run and from the evox menu, choosing system utils and then backup. You would then ftp into the xbox and transfer the c and e files and wade through the files and find the eeprom.bin file. More that likely it would be in the e:\udata\ directory somewhere depending on the game save exploit used.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGM92
I don't know anyone with a Action replay key, nor do they sell them in any of the gameshops in my area. I don't have money for a Meory card so I'm just trying to find a way to get my Xbox to load backups without the need for a memory card to load files.

I followed some of the tutorials but they get complicated because I've only been using an Xbox for a little bit and I have almost no knowledge of linux. That XBOXHDM tutorial is a bit confusing here:

Where do I get a eeprom.bin? and step 3. I can't access the Slayers disk and explore the files, nor do I know which files to copy if I could view the disk.

If someone can help me I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

EGM92
your safest bet, is to get a memorycard... used or other wise. the eeprom.bin comes from your xox hd, after it has been backed up using xboxhdm or evox. if you use the utility incorrectly, you can have a big black shiny paperweight on your hands. without the eeprom.bin, hd key and password you can't unlock the xbox hd.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:40 PM

I have an extra 20GB hdd, is it possible to get the files that are in the harddrive and put them on the 20GB including like exploit files, dashboards, install the new hdd and run it from there? Memory Cards here cost 30$CAD used and 45$ New and non of my local retailers carry 3rd party Xbox stuff cause a lot of the stuff they used to carry would easily break.

Thanks,

EGM92
Old Feb 17, 2005, 02:44 PM

You still need access to your original xbox to pull the files off, Windows can't read an xbox hd without some other software like hdd driver or fatxplorer or something like that and you would still need to unlock the drive before being able to access it's data.

TreFactor is right, a memory card is the safest route. I like Xboxhdm very well because I have used it countless times, I have never messed up a drive yet with it, but the possibility is there without any doubt. Evox can even read the eeprom wrong and give you a bad eeprom.bin file. If that happened, Like TreFacTor said, you would have a paper weight for sure. So if you don't feel comfortable with a method, don't use it. Wait till you can afford a memory card, borrow one, or get someone else to mod it for you.

Last edited by sadalius; Feb 17, 2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 03:01 PM

Alright by unlocking the drive, doesn't that mean I'll have to open my Xbox, let the HDD spin down, then quickly swap the IDE cable from the Xbox HDD with one on my PC? then use a program like HDD_Driver to open the harddrive, copy the files I need from the Xbox HDD and swap them into the new HDD. Is it possible to do this?
Old Feb 17, 2005, 03:36 PM

without transfering a game save to the xbox by memory card/stick yeah, thats about your only way. But then you would have to worry about locking the 20 gb drive that your wanting to use. It might be possible while you have the drive hotswapped to put a game save on the xbox hd using hdd driver. I'm not to experienced with hdd driver, but when you explore the drive, you will find a partition that contains a TDATA and a UDATA folder. If you were to FTP to a modded xbox, this would be on the E drive of the xbox. You would want to extract your game save which will contain a TDATA or a UDATA or both inside it. You would want to move the contents of those folders into the TDATA or UDATA or both folders on the xbox hd. Don't move the TDATA or UDATA folders themselves unless you don't care about the game saves that you already have. This would allow you to run a game save exploit to get your eeprom.bin file, or if you get the right exploit, mod it straight from the exploits menu. Sorry for being so lengthy, but I'm just trying to provide as much info as I can.