CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 17, 2005, 03:45 PM

sponsored links

Thanks for the help, Is there a tutorial on how to do what I just asked? like unlock the drive and get all the files I need then replace it with my 20gb? Also is the eeprom.bin not stored within the HDD? if not how do you obtain it.

Thanks,

EGM92
Old Feb 18, 2005, 09:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGM92
Thanks for the help, Is there a tutorial on how to do what I just asked? like unlock the drive and get all the files I need then replace it with my 20gb? Also is the eeprom.bin not stored within the HDD? if not how do you obtain it.

Thanks,

EGM92
the tutorial that you mentioned has all of that information in it. the eeprom.bin is created from the eeprom on the xbox motherboard. yes the file is on the xbox hd, but without first having [b]exploited[/b] the xbox first either by softmod, or modchip there's no way to gain ftp access to the xbox hd to retrieve the file that is easily backed up and retrieved with the help of evolution.

xboxhd maker may unlock the hd, and make a retail version of a xbox hard drive, but without the bin from the eeprom on your mother board the hd won't work. each hd is married to the motherboard. sucks, but if it was truely easy, it wouldn't be fun

get a memory card, a softmod exploit with one of the exploitable games, a lockable hd and feel free to hack away. I'm not kidding when I tell you that you can have a wasted xbox if you manage to stink up the hotswap without having the eeprom.bin, hd key and password befor you begin, and the easiest way to get that info is through a softmod.

[b]P.S.[/b]

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the xbox hd maker predicated on the fact that you need to have exploited the xbox hd first, or at least have access to one?

Last edited by TreFacTor; Feb 18, 2005 at 10:03 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 11:32 AM

Yes, Xbox HD Maker relies on the fact that you have an exploit to at least be able to create a backup of the xbox drive and dump the eeprom bios.

In this situation, without an exploit the eeprom.bin file will not be able to be created. And without which, any other drive besides the orginal xbox drive would not be able to be used without a mod chip.

The only drive that would be able to be modded in this situation would be the original drive by using the hotswap method. You would have to manually install all the modification files by hand and once finished, hot swap it back to the xbox for it to lock it back.

Although you could put a game save exploit on the original xbox hd using the hotswap method, doing this or maunally softmodding is highly dangerous and this is why TreFacTor and myself is saying the best thing to do in this situation is to purchase, borrow or beg a memory card to get an exploit on it to do the modding.

I have only done a manual softmod once, and beleive me when I say, I would not want to do that again. Hdd Driver is buggy, FatXplorer is in French language, understanding the layout of the partitions the way those programs present them to you is not easy at all.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 01:18 PM
Veteran

! AMEN ! PREACH BROHTER
The only way I see the hotswap working for you using the xboxhdd maker, Is to put an already modified hd into your box, copy over the files needed (xbox rom.bin, hd key and password) and go from there... that's actually what the directions suggest. [b]Without it don't even try it.[/b]
TRUST ME ! I have a softmod nightmare that I'm using for case modding practice....here's the skinny. I softmodded my brother-in laws box, he deleted a file using one of the apps from the evox menu... the xbox never worked again. I had everything that I needed to restore the box back to factory like he wanted, but lost power during the transfer, loosing the eeprom.bin and hd key and password. got an alladin live pro to install, and screwed it up even more. now the box is only good for parts.

Last edited by TreFacTor; Feb 18, 2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 01:40 PM

alright... I can't get any memory cards no one I know have one or need one because they save games to the HDD. All the stores around me either don't have memory card in stock or they are freakin expensive, there is no way I'm going to pay 59.99CAD for a memory card so I bought a memory stick for 10$ it's a 128mb USB drive. Can I load things onto the drive like that? through the USB stick? or will that involve me cutting up an extra xbox controller I don't have?

Thanks,

EGM92
Old Feb 18, 2005, 02:09 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGM92
alright... I can't get any memory cards no one I know have one or need one because they save games to the HDD. All the stores around me either don't have memory card in stock or they are freakin expensive, there is no way I'm going to pay 59.99CAD for a memory card so I bought a memory stick for 10$ it's a 128mb USB drive. Can I load things onto the drive like that? through the USB stick? or will that involve me cutting up an extra xbox controller I don't have?

Thanks,

EGM92
not sure which memory stick you have, as only a few work with the xbox... but you will have to doctor one. (cut an extra controller cord) . The trick is to get the save onto the xbox hd from the xbox dashboard through the memory manager.. having the softmod by itself is not enough, you also need one the the exploitable games. agent under fire, splinter cell, mech assault.