CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 05, 2005, 05:02 PM

Default Connect desktop CDRW to laptop

sponsored links

Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum and I have a question. I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop computer that I currently use as my home computer. I've figured out how to connect a 3.5" hard disk drive to the ide port in the laptop with an adapter card, but now I would like to connect a desktop CDRW drive (internal drive in an externally powered case) to the IDE port that is internal to the laptop's CDROM port. If I pull out the CDROM I notice that there is a small connector, but I do believe it is something like 50-pins. I need either a cable that I can plug into the plug that is internal to the laptop and then plugs into the back of the CDRW (40-pin IDE) or somesort of adapter that plugs into the internal port of the laptop and then I can get a standard 40-pin IDE connector that can be connected to the adapter and fed out from the laptop to the CDRW.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to utilize the IDE controllers on the laptop especially if I am going to be using it as my desktop computer. This would in essence allow me to use 4 devices on the laptop - 2 ide devices per channel.

If anyone knows of an adapter or cable that can be used please let me know!!
Old Mar 06, 2005, 07:24 AM
Veteran

Does the laptop allow 2 devices per channel? or does the board on the laptop have more than one IDE port ? It may not.. worth checking before you go out and do all the research on a cable that you cannot use.

I would suggest if far easier to go down the USB route with an external CDRW

Edit... how did you power the 3.5" drive? did you have to use an external PSU?? your taking away more and more of the laptops portability

Last edited by Nuttapper; Mar 06, 2005 at 07:26 AM.
Old Mar 06, 2005, 03:06 PM

I've checked the device manager and the way it is set up now is the internal CD-ROM is on the Primary IDE Channel and the internal hard drive is on the secondary IDE Channel. So, in theory, each IDE Channel should be able to accept 2 devices. If they didn't that is even more of a reason to get an adapter like the one I'm trying to find. That way I can use the CDRW on one channel and the hard drive on another.

About power: the 3.5" drive is in an externally powered case.

About portability: I have an Inspiron 5150 that replaced the 1100. The 1100's screen was broken in a car accident so I just use the 1100 as my desktop computer. Portability is not even an option right now.

The way my desk is arranged I don't have access to the CDROM on the 1100. The computer is at almost a 90 degree angle and the internal CDROM is in the back. I have to pull everything out to access it. Anyway, I do have the CDRW currently in an external USB case, but my BIOS does not recognize it as a bootable device. Hence, when I want to use programs that utilize bootable CD's, I either have to pull the whole thing out and use the internal CDROM or make a 7 or 8 floppy disk set for the same info. No bueno.

So, you see, it is in my best interest to find a cable/adapter for this.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paseo92 View Post
Hey guys,
I'm new to this forum and I have a question. I have a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop computer that I currently use as my home computer. I've figured out how to connect a 3.5" hard disk drive to the ide port in the laptop with an adapter card, but now I would like to connect a desktop CDRW drive (internal drive in an externally powered case) to the IDE port that is internal to the laptop's CDROM port. If I pull out the CDROM I notice that there is a small connector, but I do believe it is something like 50-pins. I need either a cable that I can plug into the plug that is internal to the laptop and then plugs into the back of the CDRW (40-pin IDE) or somesort of adapter that plugs into the internal port of the laptop and then I can get a standard 40-pin IDE connector that can be connected to the adapter and fed out from the laptop to the CDRW.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to utilize the IDE controllers on the laptop especially if I am going to be using it as my desktop computer. This would in essence allow me to use 4 devices on the laptop - 2 ide devices per channel.

If anyone knows of an adapter or cable that can be used please let me know!!
How did you manage to connect up the desktop hard drive to your laptop? where did you get the adaptor from? I'm looking for something like that but am unable to find it wherever I search all i get is the 2.5" to 3.5" drive converter, i need the other way around!!

Thanks in advance!