CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 18, 2005, 06:23 PM

Default How to Enable DMA?

sponsored links

My burner is burning very slow, this happened to me in the past and I enabled DMA through device manager. But when I go to device manager now i can't figure out how to do it.
I've done some searches on here already in the forum and people say to go to ATA/ATAPI Controller and go into the primary or secondary controller and go to adanced settings..... this is where i'm running into a problem, i don't have any advnaced settings! I don't know why, and i'm feeling kind of dumb becuase i already did this before on my own.....

I'm using Win Xp, does anyone know how I can enable DMA? I know its not enabled becuase i just ran some program that detects it, and it said its disabled.

thanks

Last edited by Cipher5000; Mar 18, 2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 07:23 PM
Veteran

here you go, a how to web page, gives you the option to manually do it through the registry

[URL=***********.blackmaxpc.com/Guides/Enable_DMA.htm]apply DMA setting
Old Mar 18, 2005, 09:03 PM

That doesn't seem to work. I didn't see it in the registry and tryed creating it as it says.... I tryed "EnableUDMA 66-133" and none of them worked.

EDIT:

Ok I have no realized that i have Intel Aplication Accelerator installed, so becuase of that, i need to change the settings in there, but I'm really now sure how.

Last edited by Cipher5000; Mar 18, 2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 10:11 PM

Well I changed some setting next to the tool icon, and changed it to DMA-2, or something like that, not sure what i did LOL

The utility in the site above which checks to see if DMA is enabled still shows it as disabled.
i ned to get something burned tonight so i burned it anyway, expecting it would still be slow, but it seems to be fixed now, much much faster.... I can burn a DVD in about 14.5 minutes at 4x

So i'm not sure actually if it was chaning the DMA in the registry or chaning it in intel application accelerator that fixed it. Anyway, its fixed
Old Mar 19, 2005, 03:28 AM

good to see you have solved the problem,but it is interesting to here you had to go down the registry route to enable DMA,,

i have seen other people experiencimg problems with intel acceraltor???

if this happens again,i would get rid of it,

normally to enable DMA will fail after 6 errors and revert back to PIO mode

keep your eye on it,if you no luck in enabling it next time,try unistalling the secondary ide channel(or the one that drives it),then reboot
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:14 AM
Veteran

Yeah, but after you do that you have to turn DMA back on.