CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 29, 2005, 02:41 PM

sponsored links

ok, I was able to install those aspi files and they are now showing up in NERO Tools.
About the DMA not being enabled in all 3 of my hard drives.....
I just got another log after installed the aspi files to see if that made a difference..... but its still the same.
So I uninstalled Intel Application Accelerator again, checked control pannel and DMA IS enabled.
So I did a test burn again, canceled it and got the log.....

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : Maxtor 91728D8 GAS5 Pnp680r Port 0 ID 1 DMA: Off
DiskPeripheral : WDC WD800BB-75CAA0 atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
DiskPeripheral : Maxtor 6Y200P0 atapi Port 1 ID 1 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D atapi Port 2 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616 atapi Port 2 ID 1 DMA: On

So its now showing that DMA is enabled in everything except my 1st hard drive. So obviously IAA is turning it off on one of my hard drives and my other DVD rom. But I still don't understand why that first one is still off as well.

Anyway, I'm going to leave IAA uninstalled for now, thursday I need to burn a bunch of DVDs, I'll see how it goes.

If i could leave IAA uninstalled I would. But I had video files on my 3rd hard drive that were messed up with it uninstalled. They were appearing as old videos which were deleted months ago. I've now finished editing those files and they are off my hard drive.
So, I think I will just wait and see the next time I add a add a new video file, if it will get all screwed up again. These videos were in DV format captured from my camcorder, i'll have to add more DV files again and see if they get messed up.

Thanks for all your help by the way, I appreciate it. I'll check back in after a few days....
Old Mar 30, 2005, 05:30 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?
Lightbulb

For your information, you don't need an ASPI layer with Nero.

Nero installs it's own ASPI file by default and doesn't use nor rely on System ASPI. (XP doesn't come with ASPI by default, 98 does)

DMA is required for all hard drives and optical drives.

All modern hardware uses DMA and not PIO mode.

Intel Application Accelerator is one of the most useless and buggiest programs ever written. Don't use it.

If you cannot enable DMA, then you need to update your motherboard drivers.

Make sure you first have DMA enabled in the Bios, then in Device Manager.

If you get repeated errors while burning, then XP will enable PIO mode as a safety precaution.

Last edited by Insomniac; Mar 30, 2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
Intel Application Accelerator is one of the most useless and buggiest programs ever written. Don't use it.
Ok I've stopped using it, the videos fiels on that hard drive seem to be working fine now. the first time i tryed uninstalling IAA it seemed as if i needed it becuase it was showing files which were deleted monthst ago. but now its working fine, so if IAA is crap, I won't use it anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
If you cannot enable DMA, then you need to update your motherboard drivers.

Make sure you first have DMA enabled in the Bios, then in Device Manager.
I updated my BIOS from A06 to A08.
how do I enable DMA in the BIOS? i don't see anything related to DMA in the BIOS... where should I go?
Its still showing up as enabled in device manager.
As of right now, DMA is enabled in all my drives except my main hard drive.

Also, I never get errors when I burn, it was just slow before. Tomorrow I have alot of DVDs to burn, so it will be a good test. but I would still like to get DMA enabled on that 1st drive.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 09:49 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Please note, updating Bios and updating motherboard drivers are not the same thing.

It's good that you updated the Bios, but you should double-check that you are using the latest motherboard drivers as well.

Also, not having DMA enabled won't necessarily give you errors, but it will make your computer sluggish and slow.

DMA speeds up the data transfer between devices, so it should always be enabled.

As far as where to look in the Bios for DMA settings, not all Bios's are the same.

It's commonly under PCIP/PnP configuration but it shouldn't be hard to find.

Go through the settings and look or check the printed or online manual.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 10:18 AM
Veteran

"how do I enable DMA in the BIOS? i don't see anything related to DMA in the BIOS."

I have never seen that option in any of my computers either. So, just forget about it.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 01:03 PM

ok....

I just talked to someone at Dell tech support, and they told me DMA is only for CD/DVD roms and secondary HDs.....
So, i'm confused now. Is everything set the way it should be?

My Primary is off, my 2nd and 4rd HDs are on and my 2 DVD roms are on