CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 06, 2005, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

sponsored links

You mention 2nd and 3rd hard drives are on the primary controller.

Where is the "1st" hard drive? What is it physically connected to?
Old Apr 06, 2005, 04:32 PM

Ok guys, I screwed up here.... I'm feeling pretty dumb

I got my hard drives mixed up! 4Skin to answer your question YES, one of my hard drivces is scsi, and I was never aware of that. When I bought it I didn't know it was scsi...

So, DMA is turned on for my main HD, scsi one thats turned off is mainly for storage and I never use it.
As for my my motherboard drivers, a person on the Dell forum told me "Dell never released a chipset driver for the Window XP operating system and your model. Instead Windows XP includes a native driver built in that provides the same chipset support. That driver was installed when you installed XP on your machine."

but thats doesn't matter now anyway, because DMA IS enabled, so thats good. Although, I still have the slowdown when burning.

Last edited by Cipher5000; Apr 06, 2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2005, 11:49 AM

I'm now burning a DVD with a regular blank DVD not re-writeable and its working fine.... could that be the problem??
Do re-writeables burn differently or something? hmmmm I've just started using re-writables around the time this slowdown started.
I use Ridata disks
Old Apr 07, 2005, 02:24 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Rewritables are rated slower, for example, the fastest CDRW is about 24 X whereas the fastest CDR is about 52X, but 24X is still pretty quick.

However, depending on the mechanism used, drives don't reach full speed until they are burning or reading the outer rings of the CD/DVD.

I don't really have an answer or explanation for your problem or even if you have one, especially via the internet and that your history and setup is complex.

It wouldn't hurt to try another media and check it's speed rating.

Good luck.
Old Apr 07, 2005, 04:41 PM

Yeah, I know the speed is slower for re-writeable DVDs.... my drive is 4x and the regular blanks burn at 4x in about 14-15 minutes. The re-writeables are 2.4x and take about 25 minutes.
its the Used read buffer thats cuasing the slowdown. when its at 100% its burning fast and full speed, but it drops down to zero and thats when it takes forever to burn.
I'm burning a regualer DVD now and again its burning just fine. So the problem has to be with the re-writeable DVDs. with those the used read buffer will often go to 0%, usually if I'm using the computer at the same time, but not always.

i'll have to buy some more blanks, thats gotta be what the problem is....

Thanks guys for all your help, and being patient with me
Old Apr 25, 2005, 03:40 AM

Quote:
scsi one thats turned off is mainly for storage and I never use it.
how old is this drive,and why are you not using it??

these things are usually like.......**** off a shovel

fast 15000rpm?????