CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:13 AM

Unhappy HD upgrade problem!

sponsored links

hi,
i'm installing a western 120gb ata100 into my PIII-500 matrox 13gb and want to use the newer HD as my slave. presently, there is two jumpers on my 13gb HD, one on the 9-7 and the other on 5-6 pins. the #3 pin is non existant. i've put the jumper on the 5 & 6 for master(matrox) and the jumper on the 3 & 4 for slave(western) but booting up, there is no HD's existing! i've tried the cable select(1 & 2) on the slave but no results on boot up. also, is it important to use the ide 40-pin in the order specified, the slave on the middle connector and the master on the last connector?
tia,
85BJ60
Old Apr 12, 2005, 09:57 AM

I won't take the time to verify your jumper pins, let's assume your correct there....

Your ribbon should run:
[MOTHERBOARD]-------[MASTER]-------[SLAVE]

and for gods sake, you need an 80 pin ide cable for hard drives these days. 40 pin cables should only be used for optical drives.

So swap out your ribbon and put your master on your middle connector and the slave at the end (or use cable select) and you should be good to go
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:05 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

The simple rule is don't use Cable Select.

It normally also requires a special ribbon cable, which has a notch punched out of one of the wires.

Use Master/Slave hierarchy instead, and for hard drives use 80 pin (80 wire) IDE ribbon.

Try to keep hard drives on the Primary Controller as Master and Slave, and optical (CD/DVD) drives on the Secondary Controller as Master and Slave.

40 pin wire is only suitable for ATA33 devices like CD and DVD drives.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
The simple rule is don't use Cable Select.
Aww, come on now. I used to get down on CS also but it really can help people who get confused by the whole master/slave thing (or just get turned on thinking you mean BDSM).
Most all 80 pin cables these days will support CS and will even have color coded plugs to make it idiot proof.

But if you really don't like CS, I guess it will die anyway with the adoption of these new-fangled SATA drives
Old Apr 12, 2005, 04:17 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Well I'm one to talk, like I'm Mr Technology?

I'm still using a Pentium III 866 with Windows XP, and yet I feel experienced and qualified enough to offer people advice.

It's pretty good though, I get to safely try out my ideas on their computers.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 04:40 PM

Don't be so hard on yourself. Lack of something does not make you exempt from being an expert on it. There are plenty of professions where lack of your study is a good thing, i.e. an undertaker.

Running an Athlon 850 here
Bet you didn't even know they made a Slot A Althlon