CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 15, 2005, 05:12 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

This may also be relivant ?? depends on your current OS really

When NOT to use Alternate Jumper Settings:

If you are running Windows NT/2000/XP.

If the system can boot with just one jumper on the drive without locking up.

If the drive is installed on an IDE controller card that is providing support to access the full drive capacity.

[b]When to use Alternate Jumper Settings[/b]
The most common scenario when a drive should be configured with the Alternate Jumper Settings is when the system hangs up or freezes upon boot up after auto-detecting all IDE devices. The reason for this error is because the drive capacity is larger than what the system can support.

What happens after the drive is configured with the Alternate Jumper Settings
The full capacity of the drive is not recognized. In order for the system to boot properly, the BIOS will recoginze smaller drive capacity. Depending on your BIOS, your drive will recongize one of the following sizes: 2.1GB, 8.4GB, 32GB.

Configuring a single (alone on the IDE cable) drive with the Alternate Jumper Settings
If you are connecting your drive as the only IDE device on the cable, place the jumper shunts on pins 3 & 4 and 5 & 6. Connect the drive to the black connector at the end of the cable.

Configuring a primary or dual Master drive with the Alternate Jumper Settings
If you are connecting your drive as the Master drive on the cable with another IDE device, place the jumper shunts on pins 1 & 2 and 5 & 6. Then configure the jumper on the other IDE device as Slave. Connect the drive to the black connector at the end of the cable and the other IDE device to the gray connector located at the middle of the cable.

Configuring a secondary or dual Slave drive with the Alternate Jumper Settings
If you are connecting your drive as the Slave drive on the cable with another IDE device, place the jumper shunts on pins 1 & 2 and 3 & 4. Then configure the jumper on the other IDE device as Master. Connect the drive to the gray connector at the middle of the cable and the other IDE device to the black connector located at the end of the cable.

[IMG]***********.3lab.fsnet.co.uk/85bj60.gif[/IMG]
Old Apr 15, 2005, 08:16 PM

Question

i've tried the jumper settings but no luck. i'm running xp-pro if that helps any. if i go to one drive only, what is the easiest way to clone the old drive?
tia,
85BJ60
Old Apr 16, 2005, 10:05 AM
Veteran

wow!! Xp on those specs !!

put the new drive on first as master an get it to be recognised on IDE 1 [b]Very Important[/b]

put the old drive as a master on its own on IDE 2

if you have norton ghost or the WD clone, Norton fits onto a floppy, you boot the PC from the floppy and just follow the screens, very easy to use, just ensure you get the source and target drives the right way around let the software clone one drive to the other, takes care of everything for you.
Old Apr 18, 2005, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttapper
wow!! Xp on those specs !!
With all the visual flair BS turned off and enough RAM, XP makes a decent OS for slower computers.

I've installed on a few 450 & 500 MHz machines. As long as there is at least 384 MB of RAM or so it works fine.
It does seem to run too slow on a 350 though
Old Apr 18, 2005, 01:41 PM
Veteran

Hmm, i defo would not install it on any machines with a spec like that, I cannot see why you would really, but if thats what the user wants.....

When you installed Xp on the 450-500Mhz machines, how did they run if an application was launched such as Word/excel or Acrobat or a simple paint program handling a 24bit photo..

I underdtand what your saying, it can be done, however, the PC would be running at a crawl, a 450/500Mhz PC was never designed for an OS like Xp, I would recommend a user to put Win 2000 on as an upgrade to the 95/98/Me the PC prolly came with.
Old Apr 21, 2005, 09:52 AM

finally getting a few minutes to tackle this problem. so far what i'm finding out is that my awards bios 4.51 is what is giving me fits! the solution to get around is to CRJ it! from what i'm reading about the Cylinder Reduction Jumper theory, it's a cheap way to get around the installation problem of larger size drives. is there a way i could upgrade my awards bios so i don't have to take the CRJ route? anything else do you recommend besides buying a new 'pute?
thx,
85BJ60