CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 17, 2005, 05:57 PM
Veteran

Default Please help me with my WiFi.

sponsored links

I have a pc running Win2k that has a cable modem connection. When running well the internet connection would get up over 300kB/s. Then i got a new laptop. And for a couple of days I took the internet service completely off of the PC and put it on the laptop. Same speeds here: in excess of 300kB/s. Now I got an 802.11b router, yes I got B, it was about $5 after rebates. Well I started off by transfering my mp3's from my PC to my laptop. They transfered at around 700kB/s. I was fine with this because I don't believe that I will be transferring files all that much and 70kB/s is fine for me in that essence. But my internet is now much slower. My PC (wired through ethernet) is only able to download at around 50kB/s while my laptop (using the wifi) is only able to get around 25kB/s.
I know that it isn't a signal problem, because the laptop is setting within 1 foot of the router.
I have set up my keys on the router to try to protect my service from getting stolen, which I doubt would happen anyways. So is there a program that I can get to see who is connected to my router to see if that is the problem with the slow speed or what is it?
Now I know that G is a lot faster, but with this B, how come that my internet has slowed down, especially on the PC? and is there a way that i can get my speed back?
BTW, this is the Linksys router found in the latest Staples cataloge in Sunday's paper on the front page for $5 after rebates.
Thanks a lot and I hope that you can help me on this one.
Old Sep 11, 2005, 06:10 PM

Wi-Fi Security slows things down as the packets have to be checked for authorisation. It's a necessary evil in the wireless world. If you want to have a secure connection but don't want wires floating around the house, check out a technology called Homeplug. It uses the mains cable in your home as a wired network, it's completely safe. The usual large online retailers have it.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 09:36 AM
Veteran

Going from B to G won't speed up your internet connection, only the connection with which your computers talk to each other. You have to realize that even a B router communicates at 10mbps while no home ISP's are hitting this rate yet. Right now the fastest seems to be cable at around 4mbps, so in theory your router is still twice as fast as your actual incoming connection.

The first thing I would do is try disabling the security. Just as a test run it without the security and see if you get back to your old speed. If so then you know the problem, if not then time to try something else...

Next you can try plugging the connection directly to the computer without the router, that way you can be certain the router is the problem and not something else that might have changed...

To answer your question about seeing if someone else is on your network. Any good router should keep a log. Look in the manual to see how you access the routers log, and it will tell you any IP addresses leased and the names of the computer logged onto your network...