CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 27, 2005, 10:29 AM

Question more router ports needed

sponsored links

I currently have a NETGEAR 4 port wireless router in my home office. I have a few laptops & desktops connected to it wirelessly and 2 desktops hard wired connected to it. I want to basically have ALL the PCs hard wired connected to it in additiona to installing several jacks throughout the house in different rooms, but I will obviously need more ports. I think I'm looking at a total of 15-20 ports needed for the entire house. What is my best option to do this? Should I just get a whole new router that can handle all this or can I somehow expand onto my current 4 port router? hub, switches, etc.? Is there even a relatively inexpensive consumer product out there that will handle this amount since I seem to only really see 4 or 8 port routers for sale in retail outlets? I would like to also keep the wireless capability if possible in case I need it for some reason or change my mind down the road.
Old May 31, 2005, 10:38 PM
Veteran

You do not need another router. Just buy some cheap network hubs or switches and cascade them to the router.
Old May 31, 2005, 11:29 PM

Question

That sounds like a good idea and something I later wondered about & if I could do it. Let me ask this though & I've always wondered about it, but what is the difference between a "hub" & a "switch". Will I still be able to share files & printers with other computers conected to either the hub/switch or the main router (wired & wireless)?
Old Jun 01, 2005, 02:09 PM
Veteran

A hub will not allow devices to communciate simultaneously, a switch is a bit more 'intelligent' than a hub, and multiple devices may communicate simultaneously. Also, a switch may be a little faster over the network. You should be able to share files/printers no problem with either one. In your case, it's a small network, so the speed and simultaneous communication shouldn't be an issue. I'd say go with whatever's cheaper, most likely a hub.