CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:27 PM

Default cd/dvd-rom not showing up in bios or computer startup

hi,
ive just installed a serial ata hard drive on an asus a8ve-deluxe mobo and i installed the drivers for the harddrive with a floppy but the problem arises when i want to install windows xp or use any cd rom for that matter. my computer will not even read the cdrom drive...nothing shows up during startup under primary master and slave and secondary master and slave. ive tried changing the boot priority to cdrom, harddrive, removable, and disable as boot priority 1-4. ive tried 2 different cd rom drives....one from a compaq computer and it gets power and everything but it isnt read in bios or anything. then ive tried a samsung cdrom from a dell computer which works with a different asus mobo. this time i cant get the cdrom drive to even open but when i take off the interface cable it gets power and will open...this might just be cause i had the interface cable in the wrong spot but ive tried every which way. the main problem is that i just cant get the cdrom to be read by the bios/computer. i just need to install xp and my comp will work. any suggestions??? please help
Old Jun 02, 2005, 11:28 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

You need to go back to basics.

Double-check all the cables, and make sure they are using the correct Master/Slave hierarchy. Don't use Cable-Select.

Try not to mix hard drives with optical drives (CD and DVD drives) on the same controller.

Eg Floppy has a controller all to itself, there are no jumper pins.

Place all hard drives on Primary Controller in the correct Master/Slave setting.

Install all optical drives on the Secondary Controller in the correct Master/Slave setting.

Once you are sure the physical connections are correct, go into the Bios and check that all the installed devices are detected and displayed correctly.
Old Jun 07, 2005, 12:52 PM

Ok, well I did what you said. I made the DVD Drive the Master and the CD Burner the Slave. They are both on the same IDE Ribbon on the Secondary controller. It still isnt working. Both Drives are not being detected. My CD Burner I just bought wont even open. When I take the IDE cable out and just leave the power cable in, then it does open. Maybe the CD Burner is defective, I dont know. Please Help!

Ive also tried setting each one up by themselves and still nothing...so I dont know
Old Jun 10, 2005, 08:54 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Try another IDE ribbon, and only have one Master device on your Secondary Controller for now so you don't complicate things.

Once you have changed the IDE ribbon with the correct one, make sure the drive is displayed in the Bios correctly.
Old Jun 11, 2005, 10:40 AM
Veteran

In my bios i have to change the cdrom selection to AUTO for it to detect.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 07:26 PM

I've tried different IDE ribbons and still nothing. The problem in my BIOS is I cant even set it as auto because the CD-ROM option isnt there. It SHOULD be, but it's not.