CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > HD-DVD & Blue-Ray
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 03, 2005, 02:27 PM

Default Heard Sony is dropping Blue Ray ?

sponsored links

From somewhere... I read about Sony is dropping Blue Ray and Toshiba is dropping HD-DVD ... ..

they those 2 will join to come up w/ a common format...

I don't know how true this is .. especially when PS3 is said to be using Blue Ray .....

Well.. at least one thing to know is ... if Sony is really droppping Blue Ray.. that means most PS3 game will be DVD5/9 ....
Old Jul 02, 2005, 01:18 AM
Veteran

Less then two months after making that annoucement Sony and Toshiba parted ways...they couldn't agree on a common format.

A Blue-Ray disc is suppose to hold ~50gig. Do you really think every PS3 game will be that big? Blue-Ray is expensive to manufactur, hence the reason over half the tech industry is against it. Sony would be completely stupid if they required all Ps3 games to only be on blue-ray. Since Blue-Ray drives are supposedly backwards compatible it would be logical to assume that any PS3 game, that doesn't need that much space, will still be on CD/DVD due to costs and production concerns.

I speculate this will be another proprietary format that will mostly be Sony only... Betamax, ATRAC, MiniDisc, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Duo, Universal Media Disc (UMD), and now Blu-Ray.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 05:54 AM
Veteran

lol dude you are such a multi forum ps3 basher!

ps3 will be blue ray, I will bet my left testicle on it
Old Dec 16, 2005, 08:58 AM

Blue-Ray will kick HD-DVD's ***, no question.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 12:32 AM

Thumbs up blu-ray or bust

"One of the primary advantages Blu-ray has versus HD DVD is the fact that the discs support multiple layers. Sony said they're working on discs with as many as 8 layers, bringing the total capacity to 200GB.

Just because the games that are made now are not using that amount of space dosent mean that you will not someday need it.. I remember having a cd with fonts on it, and as I recall it had about 5 set of fonts. (unreal waste of space) used under 1MG of space on the disk...But no one was using floppys

"things that make you go Hmmmm "

P.S. I joined this forum looking for some information on where I could get some OGM formated movies or how I could convert movie to the OGM format. I am using gnump3d for serving mp3 and ogg audio files to myself at work and I would like to look at some movies sometime.

thanks for any leads or help!!

Last edited by genetic; Jan 16, 2006 at 12:41 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 05:58 AM

Hdvd will use a superior codec for movies (vc-1),will be cheaper aswell,blueray have made claims of larger storage on their discs(50gig) but have not achieved this outside of a lab.In the end the only major difference is 5gig storage other than that they are just blank discs.