CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jun 16, 2005, 04:11 PM

Default Help needed - burning problems in Windows XP

sponsored links

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me ?

I recently upgraded by home PC operating system from Windows ME to XP home edition.

Now my Nero burning programme will not burn to disc it just freezes. I have tried uninstalling and re-installing it, which didn't work. And before anyone asks it is the latest sofware version form ahead/nero so that's not the problem.

I have discovered that Windows has added it's own burning software in the upgrade to XP. It allows Windows Media player to burn to disc and also you have the ability to send files to the cd-rom drive and it will burn them to disc for you. But the problem is that I would rather do this myself via the Nero programme, which is a much better programme and gives me more options etc.

I cannot find the programme which Microsoft has added during the upgrade to XP on the add/remove programmes.

I think it is something from Adaptec.

I have looked in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE under SOFTWARE and found an entry for Adaptec which it lists the following sub folders:

Adaptec Shared File, CDr4vsd, Components, Creator API, Easy CD Engine & SPG Master Setup.

Nothing from Adaptec comes up on the ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMMES which is really annoying so it's not going to be an easy fix I fear !

How can I de-activate the windows burning or Adaptec software so I can go back to using my Nero programme ?

I would be really grateful for any help solving this matter and if possible could you try to make it as simple/easy to follow as possible as I am not a expert on the computer !

Many thanks,

Colin.

Last edited by Colin Mitchell; Jun 16, 2005 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 04:50 PM

Yes its likely this is the cause because the CD burning feature in Windows XP is based on code by Roxio (a subsidiary of Adaptec), a rival of Nero. You will not see anything sperate for the Adpatec burning ROM and I suggest staying out of the registery for this issue, it can resoved without going in there.
Is Windows Media Player listed in Add/Remove programs? If so, if you go to uninstall it you should get the option to uninstall Media components, select this and then select the burning ROM for uninstalling. If its not listed in Add/Remove go into Media Player, Tools and options and have a look around for the option to disable the burning ROM. If this doesn’t solve it I may have directed you wrong, if you run a search in google you will find the fix, this is very common.
I have seen this issue many times and usually gets solved with the above.
I hope this helps.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 06:32 PM
Veteran

I think this may have been asked and answered before here

[URL=***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279702&page=1&pp=7&highlight=imap i]IMAPI win burning
Old Jun 16, 2005, 07:21 PM

Yip that should do it also!
Old Jun 17, 2005, 06:25 AM

Default Help still needed

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions so far, it is really appreciated.

These things can get really frustrating at times.

I have disabled the IMAPI setting (which was set as manual) as Administrator in Services, but sadly that has not worked.

Now the Windows Media Player internal burner is disabled as is the internal Windows send files to CDROM drive for burning.

So disabling the IMAPI appears to have disabled the internal burning software for Windows, but Nero still hangs and will not write/burn to disc.

Nero reads the files to be burnt, the buffer files up as usual but it cannot do the actual burn ? just hangs and then the programme doesn't respond at all.

I have restarted the computer after every change made, I have even tried uninstalling and re-installing Nero and that hasn't worked either.

This appears to be the problem as before, but with the Windows burning software disabled, I thought this may have solved the problem and probably does on the majority of computers. I seem to be unlucky with these things !

There must be another setting somewhere that I need to look at ?

Does anyone have any more suggestions.

Praying for an answer !

Regards,

Colin.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 10:46 AM

I believe that IMAPI should be set to "manual" because there are some burning apps that require it & if disabled will fail to run.
Certainly that's how I have it & I do not experience any burning issues & I've a lot of burning apps installed(Nero/Roxio/Recordnow/copytodvd/Alcohol/Blindwrite to name a few).

When you upgraded Windows did the existing windows directory get re-used & also program files? If they did then I would suspect that that's where the problem lies. Maybe some ME app/dll didn't get overwritten during the upgrade.

Last edited by tim081945; Jun 17, 2005 at 10:51 AM.
Closed Thread