CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jun 20, 2005, 08:58 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

sponsored links

Unchecking DMA may help, but Nero uses it's own ASPI which it installs and doesn't rely on system ASPI.

XP has no ASPI layer of it's own.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 04:50 AM

Default Sorry help still needed

I've tried a couple of things over the last couple of days.

I've tried dissabling at the start up items in the startup list via msconfig which didn't work.

I have checked the following Adaptec ASPI settings;

WNASPI32.DLL----4.711(0)-------08/14/2
WINASPI.DLL------4.60 (1021)----08/14/2
ASPI32.SYS-------4.711(0)-------08/14/2
WOWPOST.EXE----4.60(1021)-----08/14/2

I have checked these with the ASPICHK program from Adaptec and it comes up as:

"ASPI is not properly installed. One or more components have been replaced with older versions of the software".

I don't think that is the problem. I checked the program out on a friends laptop which also has Windows XP home edition as he had the same versions of those 4 ASPI setting as I do. He got the same mesage which is interesting.

I loaded Nero on to his computer and it worked in conjunction with the Windows burning software, his laptop is basically the same set up as my home pc. Which makes me feel that it is a Windows issue ?

Is there any windows settings, elements that I can compare on his computer to see if they are the same as mine in the C/Windows/Sysytem or C/Windows/System32 or C/Windows/System32/Drivers areas etc. ?

I could not find the DMA setting to enable or disable it in the Device Manager and then properties of the drive - is there another way of finding it in Windows XP ? Or is the fact that I cannot find it in the properties of the drive the problem ?

The only options which came up under the properties of the device were CD Player volume and Digital CD Playback and under the Recording heading Enable CD recording on this drive which was also ticked - Windows C drive was selected as was the Fastest setting for Write Speed.

Once again, any more suggestions would be welcolmed, sorry to be a pain, but I would like to find out how to fix this rather than re-installing XP Home and wiping the Hard Drive !! as you can imagine.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:15 AM

The options are rapidly diminishing.

BTW the DMA settings will be against the IDE/ATA controller (primary/secondary -> Advanced Settings), not the drive. If you don't find them there then it's likely that the driver(s) for the controller are missing/corrupt.

I think you may have to face up to the fact that very soon a clean install might be the only option.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 03:32 PM

Default Thanks a bunch guys ! It's sorted !

Thanks very much everyone for all your suggestions over the last week.

I have tried so much to get the additional burning software to work.

I had tried earlier today, uninstalling all the burning software, uninstalling the cd drive and restarting it so that Windows found the hardware again and reloaded the necessary drivers and finally the trick was fixed I think by switching off the DMA settings in the IDE/ATA settings for both the Primary and Secondary Settings.

I am not sure what DMA does, my CDROM says that it supports it, any way switching it off has enabled Nero Reloaded to burn again and doesn't affect the Windows burning software either so it all now works.

I can only conclude that it must be something to do with the fact that the 'c' drive was originally configured for Windows Me before upgrading to Windows XP Home edition.

My laptop which was configured directly by the manufacturer for Windows XP does have the DMA settings enabled for use if available on both the Primary and Secondary settings of the IDE/ATA.

Having the DMA setting now switched off on my desktop pc doesn't seem to affect the recordings and cdrom drive reads the recorded data or music OK.

Any way a big thanks again for all your help everyone.

I hope this article goes some way to helping other people in same dilemma that I was in, as it is so frustrating and more importantly time consuming to get it sorted.

I have used this and other forums in the past and I think they are a great idea. I will keep a look out for others in need for the future, may be I can return the favour to another needy sole !!!! Thanks again everyone.
Old Jun 21, 2005, 05:20 PM

Colin

I'm glad it's all working now.

However, with DMA off the performance of the attached devices will be severely reduced & you may experience other problems.

I would suspect that there is a problem with the device drivers for the IDE Controller. I think I would try uninstalling the drivers, possibly physically deleting them & install them again.

Best of luck

Tim
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:32 AM

Default Not sure what u mean

Hi Tim, thanks for all your help on this.

Do you mean uninstall all the software and drivers associated with my TEAC W512EB CDROM ? and then reinstall them again ? to help correct the IDE Controller problem.

How do I make sure the drivers are deleted were would I find them ?

Sorry to ask these questions, but I am not an expert on computers and so any help and advice is welcomed - the clearer the better !!
Closed Thread