CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jun 22, 2005, 12:31 PM

sponsored links

Colin

I'm just trying this out on my spare computer.

I'll post once I'm happy that it won't screw up.

In the meantime if you go into device manager & get the details of the IDE controller (VIA etc) & the driver details.

Tim
Old Jun 22, 2005, 01:49 PM

You should get the DMA option also in the BIOS of the system.
Old Jun 23, 2005, 09:11 AM

Hi thanks for that, I agree I need to look at the Bios settings on the computer startup. Unfortunately I cannot do this now until Monday as I am way from my computer.

It has also been suggested try changing my 'C' drive from Fat 32 to NTSF ? which my solve the problem.

A mate has suggested the problem lies with the fact that I have upgraded my operating software from Windoe ME (which he thinks is a pile of crap) to XP Home edition. His suggestion would be to reinstall a full version of XP wiping the 'C' drive in the process to solve these problems.

One thing is certain, that everyone says the computer should be running in DMA mode and not PIO.

I realise now that the IDE Controller settings refer to my Motherboard and not the CDROM. My motherboard is an ASUS A7A266 and I notice there is a BIOS upgrade for it, which might be worth trying also, although it looks compicated and time consuming !

If you think of anything else, please continue to send your thoughts in to the forum, just remeber I cannot try anything out until Monday now.

All your help with this matter is greatly appreciated, I assume that this is not the normal type of problem that people get or have with their computers ? !!!
Old Jun 24, 2005, 04:01 PM

I agree with your mate on going for a full reinstall is you are finally stuck. FAT32/NTFS can be an issue or it may result in one somewhere in the future and yes ME is crap and I think everyone would agree.

As for always using DMA, thatís not nessarly true - some Writers require PIO such as old HP drives - so I always advise on toggling the DMA option to see what works best. As tim081945 says you may have corrupt H/D controllers which you should also try an update - check the BIOS manufacture to see if they have updated drivers.

As for the BIOS upgrade - it is always best to have latest updates etc but you have to keep in mind, updating the BIOS can go wrong and cause some serious issues. I would only update the BIOS as a last resort, some may disagree with me on this.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:07 AM

Default I now have the IDE Driver information

Hi Tim, driver info as follows:

ALI M5229 PCI BUS MASTER CONTROLLER
MANUFACTURER ACER LABS INC
DRIVER VERSION 5.1.2600.2180 BY MICROSOFT

This is the latest driver by all accounts for the IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS

I have set the PIO mode for both Device 0 and Device 1 in the Primary IDE Channel and the Secondary IDE Channel. Not sure what Device 0 and Device 1 is ?

Hope this information helps.

Regards, Colin.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 12:14 PM

Hi Colin

The first thing to do is identify your primary master/slave & secondary master/slave devices.

These should be shown by the bios at boot time.

In the Bios you should have the ability to set primary master/slave etc PIO & UDMA options. These should all be set to AUTO.

In device manager your hard drive(s) should all be set to DMA if available, resulting in something like Ultra DMA mode 5. Device 0 will be the master, 1 the slave.

To me that's the starting point.

With the other devices set to PIO as you've done can you still burn?

Updating the IDE/ATA controller should go like this.

In device manager go into the controller & ignore the primary & secondary but click on the bus master controller. Take the driver tab & update driver. This starts the wizard. Check "No not this time" & click next. Check "install froom a list ..." & next. Check "Don't search..." & next. This should then show you maybe 3 options in a list. Something like "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller", "ALI Bus MAster Controller (Microsoft) & "ALI Bus Master Controller (ALI ...)". These will only display if "Show compatible h/w" is checked.
What I now suggest that is in turn you select each of these & install them & reboot , set the CD device to DMA if available & try a burn, preferably to a CD-RW. If it works on one of these options then I'd stop there.
You might possibly need to get the latest ALI drivers that support your motherboard from either ALI or ASUS. I did find this "ALi Integrated Driver v1.091<br>ALi Integrated Driver v1.091" of the ASUS website , link is ********support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us.

Last edited by tim081945; Jun 28, 2005 at 12:19 PM.
Closed Thread