CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:33 AM

Default TLDR is missing (occasionally)

sponsored links

Hi,

Occasionally, when I boot up my pc, I received the message 'TLDR is missing. Press any key to restart.'.

When this happens, the devices on my primary IDE channel are not recognised. (Master 80gb hardrive, Slave DVD Rom drive).

Could this be due to a failure of power to my harddrive? The reason I ask is that if give the cables a shake, the next time I boot up I have no problems. But the problem always returns eventually either in the same format as before or my pc freezes as if the hard drive has lost power.

I have replaced the cable on my primary IDE channel so that is not to blame.

I am running 1x 80gb harddrive, 1 x DVD-RW drive, 1 x CD-RW drive, 1x DVD Rom drive from 300 Watt power supply.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
drewb

[U][B]PC Spec and operating system[/B][/U]
1600 AMD Athlon processor, Jetway 830ch motherboard, 80gb maxtor harddrive, Windows XP.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:23 AM
Veteran

are you sure it doesnt say "NTLDR"?
Old Jun 30, 2005, 06:57 AM

It definitely TLDR.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 07:54 AM

I hope Im not going to worry you...but.....
Definitely time to backup your data.
Had this before and couple of months later the hard drive packed in completely.
It was a Maxtor and still under warranty, so I got a replacement.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 03:49 PM
Veteran

The error must be NTLDR (stands for NT LoaDeR)

It's an error that can be indicative of a failing hard-drive but can also be caused by numerous other things - like a problem with the motherboard.

Is it just a random occurence or is it mainly when you first boot up? It may well be that your Hard-Drive hasn't come up-to speed when data is requested the computer thinks it's a problem drive. This is uncommon these days but adding a delay to the initial boot sequence may help (if the option is available in your BIOS).

Some people have reported a reset of the bios may get rid of the problem.

You could also try a repair...

1.Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
2.Configure bios to boot from the CD.
3.When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
4.Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
5.Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
6.You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
7.Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter "E". This letter may be different on your computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

8.Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

Still, I'd follow BrianCs' advice and backup any important data before doing anything else on your system!!!
Old Jul 01, 2005, 07:32 AM

Andyr,

thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go when I get home. It definitley says "TLDR" but the N could be outside the range of the screen.

It normally happens when I boot up first time. A few reboots normally does the trick plus fidgeting with the cables. A light shake can work as well.

I had this problem a while back, it disappeared for about six months and now its back again.

When I start getting the TLDR message, my pc starts freezing as well (usually within 5 minutes of boot up). If I get past 5 minutes, it will work fine.

Very occasionally, when the windows screen appears, my machine will reboot itself as if power has been lost.

Its definitely not a virus.

Regards
drewb