CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 18, 2005, 06:20 AM

Unhappy CD RW drive cannot read/write (win98se)

sponsored links

Dear Friend,

I have windows 98se.

Until a while ago I could easily read and burn CD's. Just recently, out of no where, my drive cannot read or write any form of CD. Not only the ones I burnt but even other cd's as well. I tried many, still nothing.

Power works and the tray opens and closes. The green light flashes at start up. It is recognised in BIOS as well. But every time I put a CD in it acts as there is no CD inside. I tried uninstalling and re-installing it, changing IDE cables but nothing.

Just like c03MAC (***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253680) sometimes the DVD recognises a CD when its left inside and the pc is booted. Then again sometimes it does not. And the CD RW drive does not recognise any CD at all, put it before or after boot up.

I need help, PLEASE you guys make a big difference in amature pc users.....better than those large company support team.

Last edited by pchelp; Jul 19, 2005 at 03:12 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:54 PM

Try removing the IDE cables and boot the PC up with only the power connected to the drive - now try a CD audio or data and read what happens with the LED's.

By testing the LED's you can figure out if the drive is faulty or not.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 04:05 AM

Dear Irish Support,

sorry could not get back earlier. Thanks for replying. I tried what you said. With only the power connected to the CD RW drive, I booted the PC. Later I put several different CD's inside and on the LED, the light would blink green as its trying to read the CD and then turn off. Same result on all the CD. I tried the same trick on a drive that I know works and the result was that the light would blink green and STAY lit green, I assume that is what a normal working drive does.

I installed the latest ASPI layer too but nothing, just for info my system is Win98SE and the ASPI layer: APIX.VXD 4.71.2 & WNASPI32.DLL 4.71.2.

Could it be that the drive laser lens is dirty so it cannot read the data on CD? Should I open the drive and clean it?

Thanks a bunch
Old Jul 25, 2005, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchelp
the light would blink green as its trying to read the CD and then turn off.
Its most likely to be a faulty drive if the LED goes out - you can try 2 last attempts but I am thinking neither will work.

1: Install the latest firmware for the CD-Writer, you can download it from the manufacture.

Or

2: Purchase a good brand drive cleaner and try it on the issue drive.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 01, 2005, 09:09 AM

Default Thanks

Hi Irish Support,

I finally came to terms with the computer. I replaced the cd rw drive with a new one. I tried all sorts of ways to fix it but all in vain. My DVD rom drive is such that it works some times and does not sometime. I think its also heading in the direction of the cd rw.

Anyway, THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP...
Old Aug 05, 2005, 05:23 PM

Question CD RW drive cannot read or write

I have a similar problem, my drive just went dead. I checked our new firmware, ran AutoFix for autorun, I did everything Dell and Microsoft suggested, to no avail. I even had a friend, who knows much more about computers than I do, take a look at my PC. He couldn't solve the problem. The PC recognizes the drive and says it's working ok, but it's not. After I insert any type of disk, the green goes out after about 10 seconds. In Windws Media Player, I get "no disk in drive". I click on the icon in My Computer and it says "please put disk in drive". But, there is a disk in the drive. Now I can't burn anyhing, play games, play CDs or DVDs, or run any software disks at all. I searched the web for my drive, Philips DVD+RW DVD 8631, and on forum after forum, nobody has a nice word for this drive. Even on the Dell forum, that drive is hated. Since I'm under warranty, I e-mailed Dell. 3 times this week. I'm lost without a drive, so they must replace it, right? I've never had a drive completely die on me before. Dell must know of the problem and maybe they are overwhelmed. I tried calling support, but A bad connection and a man who didn't speak english well made me give up after about an hour. My e-mails should have been detailed enough. Should I just wait? Or, e-mail them again? Or. attempt another support call? Any help would be greatly appreciated. markf505