CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:11 PM

Question My computer thinks a data CD is blank

Hi, I am having a problem with some data CDs. Below are my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 2650 Laptop computer with:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4-M CPU 1.80 GHz
Samsung CDRW/DVD SN-324B DVD/CD-ROM drive
Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.12
Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro
Norton Internet Security 2004 Pro
Norton Systemworks 2003
Windows Media Player 10

I took some blank CD-R's over to my friend's house to burn some of his video files (burn .avi movies as data CDs) using Nero Burning ROM. I checked all 6 CDs after burning, and they worked perfect on his computer. But when I brought the CDs home, I found out that my computer treats them as blank CD's. When I insert them the autorun shows up saying "Blank CD is inserted". After researching on this subject a little bit, I tried unchecking the "Enable CD recording on this drive" option in CD drive properties, on the "Recording" tab. But after that, my computer started saying "E:\ is inaccessable. Incorrect function" whenever I tried to access the CD. I re-enabled the "CD recording" and now my computer treats those CDs as blank cds again. The file system in properties is "RAW", which I think should be CDFS. Also, when I try to access the CD through the command prompt, it says "Incorrect function".

After thinking for a while, I an idea about trying to burn something on one of these CDs, since my computer thinks they are blank. I used Nero Express, and, to my surprise, it said that "Burn process completed successfully", but when it did the Data verification, it failed, saying "Error reading sectors 0 to 352000", and since then, when I insert that CD, my drive keeps spinning it and nothing happens.

Same thing happens in Safe Mode.

All of my own CDs work perfect, including those with video files on them. I don't know what the problem is with the CDs I burned on my friend's computer.

Uninstalling the driver and restarting my computer didn't help, because the same problem continued after windows detected and reinstalled the driver for my CD drive.

I don't have Roxio installed, and I never did.

I just reinstalled my Windows XP a few weeks ago, and installed the Service Pack 2 for the first time on my computer.

I use Sony CD-R's.

I would be very glad if you help me with my problem. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Artie; Jul 21, 2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 03:25 PM

My guess would have been that your friend didn't finalise the CDs.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 01:03 PM

Default data cd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie
Hi, I am having a problem with some data CDs. Below are my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 2650 Laptop computer with:
Windows XP Pro SP2
Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4-M CPU 1.80 GHz
Samsung CDRW/DVD SN-324B DVD/CD-ROM drive
Nero Ultra Edition 6.6.0.12
Norton Antivirus 2004 Pro
Norton Internet Security 2004 Pro
Norton Systemworks 2003
Windows Media Player 10

I took some blank CD-R's over to my friend's house to burn some of his video files (burn .avi movies as data CDs) using Nero Burning ROM. I checked all 6 CDs after burning, and they worked perfect on his computer. But when I brought the CDs home, I found out that my computer treats them as blank CD's. When I insert them the autorun shows up saying "Blank CD is inserted". After researching on this subject a little bit, I tried unchecking the "Enable CD recording on this drive" option in CD drive properties, on the "Recording" tab. But after that, my computer started saying "E:\ is inaccessable. Incorrect function" whenever I tried to access the CD. I re-enabled the "CD recording" and now my computer treats those CDs as blank cds again. The file system in properties is "RAW", which I think should be CDFS. Also, when I try to access the CD through the command prompt, it says "Incorrect function".

After thinking for a while, I an idea about trying to burn something on one of these CDs, since my computer thinks they are blank. I used Nero Express, and, to my surprise, it said that "Burn process completed successfully", but when it did the Data verification, it failed, saying "Error reading sectors 0 to 352000", and since then, when I insert that CD, my drive keeps spinning it and nothing happens.

Same thing happens in Safe Mode.

All of my own CDs work perfect, including those with video files on them. I don't know what the problem is with the CDs I burned on my friend's computer.

Uninstalling the driver and restarting my computer didn't help, because the same problem continued after windows detected and reinstalled the driver for my CD drive.

I don't have Roxio installed, and I never did.

I just reinstalled my Windows XP a few weeks ago, and installed the Service Pack 2 for the first time on my computer.

I use Sony CD-R's.

I would be very glad if you help me with my problem. Thanks in advance!
cannot open data cd's on cd-rom drive.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 08:33 PM

Default i'll be a dollar that your guess is incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim081945
My guess would have been that your friend didn't finalise the CDs.
there is no problem with your cd. and not the operating system. my guess is that as in mission: impossible, the data self destructed.

but this is curious. i must research this aberration.
Old Apr 29, 2006, 11:54 AM

Default same problem

I'm having the same problem, I've had the similar problem with different cds using different drives...my first drive (which I thought was garbage, so I bought a new one) is a LG GCE-8527B with the firmware updated...I pulled it, and installed an HP DVD 740i (windows says it's a 740b), and I've updated the firmware on it as well...as it is having a similar problem, you insert a data cd in which you know there's data on (i.e. cd 2 of 4, and cd 2 is the only one out of those 4 that won't read?!), and windows says it's blank, however, when you go into properties, it says that it's: a RAW file system; it's full (i.e. all blue); but the data contained within is 0 bytes!?

Now that I have GEAR DVD software, I've done the 'read info' option for the cd and it says that the cd has just over 500MB of data on it!, and it also says the session was not closed...I'm beginning to think that was it...I'm going to close the session and see what happens...will let you know...

YAY...I was able to close the session with GEAR DVD...and that solved the problem...windows explorer is now able to read the cdr....is this because I keep using cheap hardware? would a plextor 760a have this same issue?

Last edited by dlancelot; Apr 29, 2006 at 12:26 PM. Reason: new info.
Old Jan 01, 2007, 02:20 AM

Hey! Happy new year to you all!
I have exactly the same problem here but with a CD-RW. If finalizing would help then it's probably not the right solution for me I guess.
Help anyone?