CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 10, 2005, 09:04 AM

Question Computer will not read either CDRom or CDRW drives

sponsored links

A few months ago, my Dell running Windows XP stopped recognizing both of my CDRom drives (one of which is a CDRW drive). They do not show up in My Computer, but they do in the Device Manager. There they show that there are problems with the drivers, but I have tried to install the necessary drivers multiple times from the Dell site and the manufacturer's website without success. I am about to just give up and take it into a computer repair store, so I could use any advice you have! Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:12 PM
Veteran

Why not use Restore & return to a time they did work?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 06:38 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

HandyGuy, read the post, he said "a few months ago".

I doubt System Restore would work, and if it did, no one wants to return their PC to a few months prior, and that's assuming he has System Restore. (Not that it works well for drive problems anyway!)

BCampolo, this seems to be a common problem with XP and is caused by a corrupt Registry entry.

Try the following,

Start Registry Editor (Start, Run and type in regedit then click O.K)

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software.

Restart your computer.