CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 10, 2005, 11:20 PM

Default cd-rom not detected problem

sponsored links

my computer was working fine then i rebooted my computer because it was running for quite some time. after the reboot, the cd-roms were not detected thus not showing on "my computer". i've tried reconnecting the wires and everything but nothing seems to work. i also hooked up another cd-rom but it was was not detected by the computer. i can still open and close the cd-rom. i checked the hardware on device manager and it says "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)". there are also some "yellow" highlights next to the device on the device manager.

any clues on how i can solve this problem?

thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2005, 01:17 PM
Veteran

Try another cable if you have one.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:08 AM

i tried another cable but that didn't do anything. i also uninstalled the driver from the device manager but nothing happened. it was back to the same situation as before.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 03:28 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

It sounds like you have XP, as this is a common error caused by a corrupt Registry entry.

It's not too difficult to fix.

Start Registry Editor (Start, Run and type in regedit then click O.K)

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.

Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Quit Registry Editor.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software.

Restart your computer.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 01:16 AM

after doing what you indicated i was able to see the icons of the drive on "my computer". the problem now is that i cannot seem to be able to access it. when i put a cd in and try opening it, it says "drive f: is not accessible. incorrect function". that is the case for both of my dvd-rom and dvd-rw, so what or how do i go about fixing this? one problem is solved but now another one arises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac
It sounds like you have XP, as this is a common error caused by a corrupt Registry entry.

It's not too difficult to fix.

Start Registry Editor (Start, Run and type in regedit then click O.K)

Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:

Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:

Quit Registry Editor.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software.

Restart your computer.
Old Aug 20, 2005, 01:21 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Delete the filters as per the instructions again, then reboot and have a look in Device Manager.

Uninstall or remove all your optical drives (CD and DVD drives) and reboot and let Windows find and install them on it's own.

Reboot and go into Device Manager again and make sure there are no errors and that all your drives are listed and displayed correctly.
Closed Thread