CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 26, 2005, 05:02 PM
Veteran

Question Where's My Password/Cookies Folder? Windows XP; HELP!

sponsored links

Hello all,

I access to my company's corporate website online where I do my work. You know the usual log in with ID and password (set *remember password/Internet Explorer).

I purchased a new hard drive not too long ago and started over with Windows XP. Now when I access this site I have to retype the password which I can't remember! I know the ID, but do not remember the password! I don't want to ask the head people over at corporate (makes me look bad) so please help me find it in my own computer!

Still have my old drive, which still remembers the password automatically. Where is this file saved? Cookies? Where's the password folder that saves passwords? Please help me find it!

Thanks!

DohDoh
Old Aug 26, 2005, 06:25 PM
Veteran

hmmm it aint the password you need, its the cookie that contains the info, you can find this v easy by putting cookie into the search engine on Xp, personnally I cannot see how asking a question of a help line can make you look bad.. if you were to explain you had to change the drive, or your password has been forgotton... its a pizz poor company that would consider this as bad, rather you forget it than fookin write it down sum where to be found !!!!
Old Aug 26, 2005, 09:53 PM

If you are using Internet Explorer the passwords are stored in the registery at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW.

However, you won't be able to read them because they are encrypted.
Old Aug 26, 2005, 11:51 PM
Veteran

Let's igone glaring details, like how have you been doing your work all this time if you can't remember your password. Or the fact that if the company really cared about security they would [i]not[/i] store the password as a permanent cookie on the harddrive (for the sake of security it should always expire after a short time and/or always require you to re-enter the password...like online banks, e-bay, paypal, etc.)

Even if you copied over the registry keys and relevant files, if the harddrive is new and you just installed Windows XP to it, the password encryption on the old drive would not match the new Windows install. You'd still have to manually enter it at least once before it could be stored.

Last edited by QWERTY; Aug 26, 2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2005, 05:57 PM
Veteran

Talking

Yeah I copied my cookies from my old drive to the new one and it didn't work. It's okay though I written the password in one of my old paper files which I found. Ahhh good ol paper.

I only had to type the password once and it remembers it everytime (I set it up that way). Keep in mind this is my home computer, not the office computer.

Thanks anyway!
Closed Thread