CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 04, 2005, 03:56 PM

Default connecting laptop hard drive to pc ide cable?

sponsored links

i have bought an adapter to connect my laptop hard drive to a pc ide so i can view the hard drive contents and later reinstall / format the laptop hard drive.

and when i connect it to my pc (without plugging the original pc hard drive aswell), it starts up with an error saying "primary master hard disk fail"

if i plug both, the pc's original hard drive and my laptop hard drive to the ide's it starts up and says the same as previous.

if i connect the laptop hard drive while the computer is on (while in windows) a blue screen shows, (like the system dump, might actually be the same im not sure) and i have to restard the computer.

tried it today and the laptop hard drive just isnt detecting in windows at all, do i need to add new hardware? (but i wouldnt know what to add - it doesnt find it automatically. but windows works fine while the laptop hard drive is connected to the pc.

im really confused? any help please! many thanks!

Last edited by puntoandy; Sep 04, 2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2005, 11:38 AM
Veteran

U need to change your laptop hd jumper to slave.....you can't have 2 master hds on your computer.
Old Sep 05, 2005, 03:18 PM

how do i do that?

i can see the pins on the back but there isnt a jumper . the laptop hard drive has never been taken out of laptop or messed with as i am the owner from new.

is there any other way i can set the hard drive to be a slave device?

Last edited by puntoandy; Sep 06, 2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old Sep 06, 2005, 10:14 AM

Lightbulb HDD settings

Jumpers may be on the face of the circuit board attached to the bottom of the HDD, (hidden among the other components near the ribbon connector!)

Alternative possibility is to connect to secondary IDE port in place of CD drive, format in this position then swap to primary port (setting aside Primary HDD for reconnection later), reconnect CD to secondary and boot from CD to install OS.

A long winded procedure but any port in a storm!

I hope this is of use to you.

Regards

Phil
Old Sep 06, 2005, 06:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyguy
U need to change your laptop hd jumper to slave.....you can't have 2 master hds on your computer.
LMFAO, wot a to$$er, you can have two masters, one on port IDE 0 and one on port IDE 1... you mean to say you cannot have two master drives on the same ribbon on the same IDE channel..

The port outlets on the MoBo are commonly called IDE 1 and IDE 2

PuntoAndy, leave the hard drive you have in the PC as it is, (ie leave your current drive on the IDE 1 cable as a master)

disconnect all the devices on the IDE 2 ribbon cable and then plug your lappy hard drive on the cable by itself, there is a very good chance the PC will auto detect and sort the laptop drive out, giving it a status, if it dont work on the first connector off the ribbon put it on the end of the ribbon, again having only the lappy drive on that cable
Old Sep 07, 2005, 08:37 AM

can this work on an older pc?

the pc i am trying to use has 2 ide ports. and 2 ide ribbons. both are identical ribbons (they dont split off to two which i have seen before on pcs)

does this make a difference?

many thanks.