CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 09, 2005, 07:50 AM
Veteran

Default Monitor displayes "out of Range"

sponsored links

Hi there,

I have recently bought a LCD monitor and tried connecting it to a old computer.

When i boot the system it works fine untill windows starts up, it doesnt display anything! its says "out of Range"

I have stared it safe mode but it doesnt keep the settings, (it goes to default) i have also plugged the old monitor in a put the refresh rate down to 60Hz but still no luck.

any ideas?? i am using windows XP

I found this on the net but it dont have the same displayes as its saying.

My monitor shows "OUT OF RANGE"?
It is likely that the PC just connected to the monitor was previously used with a desktop monitor. These require high refresh rates to avoid flicker, because the userís peripheral vision is employed, and this part of vision detects flicker.
Presentation monitors are designed to be viewed at three times the picture height, so peripheral vision does not play a part, and flicker is not seen. The large screen monitors do not have the same high frequency range as desktop displays, for the reasons just stated, as well as CRT/Yoke design and manufacturing issues, along with monitor electronics complexity/cost issues.

Please set the video card refresh rate according to the timing table (located in your manual).

Connect a desktop monitor (if available) the PC and adjust the refresh frequency in Windows as outlined in steps 1-8 below.

If a deskop monitor is not available:
Start Windows in the safe mode by pressing F8 the instant you see "Starting Windows 9x". Select Safe mode from the startup options menu.

1. Click the right mouse button on an empty spot on the desktop
2. In the popup menu, click on "Properties".
3. Click on the "Settings" tab at the top of the Display Properties window.
4 Click on "Advanced Properties".
5. Click "adapter"
6. In the Refresh Rate window, select "Adapter Default" or 60Hz.
7. Click on the Monitor tab, and uncheck "Automatically detect Plug and Play monitor".
8. Apply the settings, and restart Windows normally.

Go back to Display Properties and select the resolution and refresh according to the preset timing table in your user manual.
Old Sep 09, 2005, 12:27 PM
Veteran

the graphics card on your old PC and the new monitor are incompatable, if it keeps switching back to default and showin out of range, then your not going to get it to work.. The refresh rate of the card aint makin it.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 06:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttapper
the graphics card on your old PC and the new monitor are incompatable, if it keeps switching back to default and showin out of range, then your not going to get it to work.. The refresh rate of the card aint makin it.
so i will need to get a new graphics card????
Old Sep 22, 2005, 02:37 PM
Veteran

well a new graphics card sounds like the option to get the monitor going, before commiting to one though..

What is you old card Make/Model

Is it an AGP, PCI or onboard graphics.
Old Oct 13, 2005, 04:25 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttapper
well a new graphics card sounds like the option to get the monitor going, before commiting to one though..

What is you old card Make/Model

Is it an AGP, PCI or onboard graphics.
Its a ATI 3D Range Pro AGP 2X

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2005, 09:04 AM

Havr you tried booting Windows into VGA mode? I guess that assumes your using XP though.
Good call on checking the specs of the graphics card, but we'll also need the LCD model to compare.